Anki Not Syncing: Connection timed out errors when syncing

Hi!

I am having troubles syncing on my Anki Desktop Application on my Macbook Pro, and was hoping to get some assistance. I recently noticed this syncing issue after I updated my Mac OS to Big Sur. I have reviewed the Syncing Failed topic on FAQS AnkiWeb, and tried the suggestions, but it has not worked.

https://faqs.ankiweb.net/syncing-failed-connection-timed-out-errors-when-syncing.html

According to the website I linked above, I tried syncing on different Wifi networks, and made exceptions on my antivirus and firewall for Anki, but I am still experiencing the issue. I am currently a medical student in California and am required by my school to have Sophos Antivirus, Cisco AMP for Endpoints, and to have my laptop encrypted.

I have also tried upgrading and downgrading to different Anki versions, but the sync error still persists. The exact error message that I see is: “Connection timed out. Please try again. If you see frequent timeouts, please try a different network connection. Error details: ⁨error sending request for url (): operation timed out⁩.”

At this point, I do not know what else I can try to fix my problem. If I could get some assistance with this issue, it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

If it’s a proxy issue, you could try the latest beta to see if it helps. If it does not, I’m afraid your best bet is to contact Sophos for assistance.

Hi Damien. Thank you for your response. I have an update with the issue I’m having with Anki. It appears that my Anki can sync everything but the media now. I found my Anki Crash log but as I do not have any experience with Python, I do not understand what it means.

This is part of the crash log:

Fatal Python error: Segmentation fault

Thread 0x00007000156e9000 (most recent call first):
File “concurrent/futures/thread.py”, line 78 in _worker
File “threading.py”, line 870 in run
File “threading.py”, line 932 in _bootstrap_inner
File “threading.py”, line 890 in _bootstrap

Thread 0x0000700008f95000 (most recent call first):
File “threading.py”, line 306 in wait
File “queue.py”, line 179 in get
File “aqt/mpv.py”, line 362 in _get_event
File “aqt/mpv.py”, line 488 in _event_reader

Thread 0x0000700007f92000 (most recent call first):
File “aqt/mpv.py”, line 245 in _reader

Thread 0x0000700006f8f000 (most recent call first):
File “selectors.py”, line 415 in select
File “socketserver.py”, line 232 in serve_forever
File “aqt/mediasrv.py”, line 64 in run

Current thread 0x000000010d5bbdc0 (most recent call first):
File “aqt/init.py”, line 488 in _run
File “aqt/init.py”, line 349 in run
File “runankimac”, line 12 in

Would anyone happen to know what this all means? Thank you in advance.

Please go into the preferences screen and click on Media Log - what does it say?

It says:

“Thu Jun 24 12:35:19 2021: Media sync starting…
Thu Jun 24 12:39:17 2021: A network error occurred.
Error details: ⁨error sending request for url (): connection closed before message completed⁩”

That seems like it wasn’t able to make any progress at all, and again points to it being an issue with the network filtering on the machine. I’m afraid it’s not something that can be fixed from this end - maybe your IT support can assist.