About Learn Ahead Limit

Hello,
I’m quite confused by this Learn ahead limit option.
I’d like to leave some time to forget things, so I’m thinking about increasing the intervals between each lapses.
If I’d like to review things an hour later after I practiced them, should I add the Learn ahead limit number to the desired value?
In other words; the default learn ahead value is 20 minutes. Should I add +20 minutes to the desired learning steps value? 60+20=80
So, should the learning steps be: 1m 80m so I surely wouldn’t practice them within the same hour?

If so, I don’t understand the concept of this option. I could set Learn ahead limit to 0 and change the learning steps to ‘0m 60m

I’m not sure about what you’re exactly trying to achieve, but assuming that you’re speaking about learning cards…

You should set your learning steps to 1m 60m. Learn ahead limit option has another use:

https://docs.ankiweb.net/preferences.html?#scheduling

Learn ahead limit
Tells Anki how to behave when there is nothing left to study in the current deck but cards in learning. The default setting of 20 minutes tells Anki that cards should be shown early if they have a delay of less than 20 minutes and there’s nothing else to do.

Learn ahead limit shows cards earlier than they are due. And I think if I set the learning steps to 1m 60m, I wouldn’t really have to wait 60 minutes to answer the question again but only 40 minutes (60-20).
Am I not right?

Essentially, yes; now I think that I understand your question better.
If for some reason, you want to be sure that you won’t practice the same learning card twice within an hour, my understanding is that you can:

a) Set learning steps to 1m 80m and learn ahead to 20.
b) Set learning steps to 1m 60m and learn ahead to 0.

1 Like

Thank you for your help.
Maybe, I should have mentioned that I have less cards than to study them more than 20 minutes a day and I didn’t find it challenging to answer the same cards twice or three times in a row.