When changing card types, text from previous card is automatically pasted

When I switch from cloze to basic, the text from the previous cloze card is pasted into the text box for the back side of the basic card. Please help me stop this from happening.

This is normal. Anki tries to keep the contents of the fields when switching note types. Does that cause any issues for you other than having sometimes to copy & paste around to get the right contents in the right field?

1 Like

So the problem is that I create a card, then when I go to make a new card of a different type it brings back up the text from the old card. Which means I have to delete the text that it pasted from the previous card every time

I’m not sure we are all talking about the same thing. When you say “changing card type”, we understand “changing note type” (there is no such thing such as a card type), which means going in the browser, right clicking on a note and choosing “change note type”.
This is unrelated to creating new cards, which is done by clicking on add.
Which one correspond to your problem?

1 Like

I think you have the built in sticky fields feature activated. Clicking on the pin icon, on the right of each field, should solve the problem

2 Likes

Thank you for your help, unfortunately I have tried that and it does not work

Sorry I mean changing note type. From going from “basic” to “cloze” for example

If the problem is the behavior of sticky fields as cqq guessed and clicking the pin icon didn’t help, I recommend checking if this is caused by an add-on: Getting help - Frequently Asked Questions

1 Like

A minor nitpick: There are actually card types, which you are probably familiar with. Getting Started - Anki Manual

1 Like

Exact! I though they were called card templates (turns out card templates are the templates of each side of the card type).

To be fair, I haven’t been terribly consistent with this terminology, and ‘template’ has been used in various places to refer to both the card type as a whole, and its individual front and back parts.

2 Likes