Unite Translations under one system, Weblate

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.

The Anki ecosystem has two different ways of translating things, but they can all be managed in one system called Weblate.

• Anki and AnkiMobile → Pontoon
  • Ankidroid → Crowdin
  • Suggestion: Anki, AnkiWeb, AnkiMobile, Ankidroid, and add-ons (possibility) → Weblate

Crowdin

• Not open-source
  • Open Source setup request: prevents Anki/AnkiMobile to be merged with Ankidroid Translation
    • You do not have any commercial products related to the open-source project you are requesting a license for.

• The system with the highest adoption of open source projects
  • Free tier: 60k words is a big plus!
  • Great app
  • 1 integration for free tier, which is used for .po support (not native)

Pontoon

• Open source: 1.4k stars, 549 forks, and 96 contributors
  • Slow development
  • Closed entry: requires dae or project owners to give account, rather than just permitting translations or accepting suggestions (Translating with Weblate)
  • Self host with no support or paid plans
  • Interface is similar to Crowdin (personally liked it)

Weblate

• Open-source: 4.1k stars, 965 forks, and, 1112 contributors
  • Fast development
  • Features: Native GNU gettext PO, JSON, Android aresource, iOS Strings, XLIFF…
  • Great security
  • Good Docs
  • Self-hosted with/without paid support
  • Easy to translate projects: I can set my target language to translate, and Weblate will suggest others projects I can volunteer in (see image below)

This page is showing 10 translations suggestions to translate pt-BR

More translators in Weblate mean better and more frequent translations, especially for languages with few completed translations

Interface when translating

Describe the solution you’d like

Would like Anki to manage their translations under one system

1 Like

It’s not so generous when you realise that it’s words x languages, not English words alone.

It does make it harder for people to contribute only a tiny change, but it has its upsides too: only people who are serious about translating tend to apply, and I don’t have to deal with malicious or accidentally incorrect translations like AnkiDroid has to.

While having all translations in one place would be neater, I’m not sure it would actually make much of a difference if the closed-application style were kept around. And AnkiDroid has more autonomy with their current approach. What you’re suggesting would mean both AD and I need to rewrite our translation integrations to support the new site, and I’m afraid I’m not sure it’s the best use of our time at the moment.

5 Likes

I assume you’re a translation contributor as well? I don’t know that I would be in favor of a change. Sure, it took some time to get used to both platforms, but that’s done now. Changing to a 3rd platform seems like it creates an unnecessary hurdle for existing translators.

I also agree with Damien’s point about having a small barrier-to-entry being not entirely bad. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thought it was strings :skull:

Crowdin (limited languages) and Weblate has QA/translations checks which lessens accident/incorrect translations (screenshots and context strings helps a lot), and proofreading (is that even a feature?) to remove malicious translations

The closed applications style will still be around, the project can decide on which translation workflow to follow

• The project accepts direct translations (AnkiDroid approach)
  • The project only accepts suggestions, which are automatically validated once a defined number of votes is reached (Closed approach, while still being open for translations)
    Translating using Weblate - Weblate 5.5 documentation

The reason for this discussion:

As AnkiDroid catches up to AnkiMobile, there will be discussions on merging the docs together

As such, which system would be used for translations, now that the docs are merged? It would likely move to pontoon as it is self-hosted since AnkiMobile cannot move to Crowdin (open source setup request)

Between Pontoon and Weblate, I perceive a greater potential for the latter, as it offers a greater community and a more robust commercial model, among others features

Mozilla last statement was “…doubling down on our core products”. It would be the best case scenario if Pontoon was included, more funding and development would foster a more active community

Still, the docs can be managed under pontoon, while Ankidroid is with Crowdin, this would be the less troublesome approach which satisfy translators and developers alike

1 Like

I was not aware of Weblate, and will consider it for the future if Pontoon becomes a problem.

Features that make sense on multiple platforms get put into the core module. AnkiMobile’s strings are mostly AnkiMobile-specific.

1 Like