Unable to "type in" in "cloze" note type

According to the section “Checking your answer” from the Anki manual, in order to have a “type in” field in a “cloze” note type, I can do this:
{{cloze:Text}}
{{type:cloze:Text}}

But that doesn’t work. It doesn’t work either if I do:
{{cloze::Text}}
{{type::cloze::Text}}

or
{{c1::Text}}
{{type::cloze::Text}}

What is the proper code for a “type in” field in a cloze note type?

It looks like you already did the right thing in the template.
Does your note’s {{Text}} field have a cloze in it? e.g. {{c1::myCloze}}

The cloze note type is treated specially by Anki, and cannot be created based on a regular note type. If you wish to customize it, please make sure to clone the existing Cloze type instead of another type of note. Things like formatting can be customized, but it is not possible to add extra card templates to the cloze note type.

Yes, to no avail. See pictures.

Yes. The type I’m using is not the original “Cloze” type, but a duplicate one.

Will you please copy your front template here (unless my guess below is correct)?

I’m guessing since you duplicated the original cloze note type, something in the template just needs renamed to match your field names. Using the template below as an example, I’d have to replace Text with Katalanisch to get your {{c1::nativeWord}} to work.

So this

would turn into this

{{cloze:Katalanisch}}
{{type:cloze:Katalanisch}}

Instead of editing the face template and the turnover template, you enter everything in the fields of the record. You need to read the manual carefully from the beginning.

1 Like

OK. Now I have my template working:

Front:
Back:
{{cloze:Deutsch}}
{{type:cloze:Deutsch}}

Now I only need a hint as to what to write in the actual note. The following doesn’t work:
Front:
CatalanVerb
{{c1::GermanVerb}}
Back:
???

Fields being used on the back template as part of the answer are generally a basic note type thing. Here’s the Anki manual section for templates: Card Templates - Anki Manual

While you’re first learning templates for cloze note types, your back template should be the same as the front template except for any extra info. For example, here’s a simplified back template of my typed cloze note type:

<br>{{Back Extra}}

The front template has the first two lines but not the last.

On cloze notes, the same field is effectively both the front and the back for any cards generated. The other fields would only be used for extra things like hints on the front, notes on the back (like {{Back Extra}} shown above), references on the back, and so on.

In your case, the back template would probably be

<br>{{Deutsch}}

where {{Deutsch}} is simply a field you put notes into. If you rename that field to notes, it’d then be {{notes}} instead of {{Deutsch}}.

Here are a couple cloze deletion sections in the Anki manual:

An example from the first link is provided as follows:
Canberra was founded in {{c1::1913}}.

{{c1::1913}} is hidden until the back side is shown. It’s effectively the back side of card 1 because of the wrapper {{c1::}}. If it were {{c2::}} instead, it’d be for card 2. You can have many {{cN::}} wrappers to generate many cards. You can even use the same wrapper multiple times for the same card.

Tip:
While editing cloze cards, it’s possible to create “empty” cards. When you’ve finished editing, make sure to use Tools -> Empty Cards... from the main window. Relevant section of the Anki manual: Card Generation - Anki Manual

I understand now that in a cloze note type the front works as front and back, and that the back can be used to have other information as I see fit.

OK. Finally it is working for me. I have to learn more. (By the way, nowhere in the “Cloze Deletion” section in the manual is said that a cloze note type works with only the front part as relevant.)

Thank you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.