Tiered Study Options for Big Decks?

I really don’t know what to call this, so I’m probably missing where this is explained. I downloaded a big deck and want to study just the notes with a certain tag first and just some of the cards for those notes. (But I want the order randomized within the tag.) Ideally, when I ran out of those, it would add another tag or another kind of card. Custom study lets me sort by tags, but it seems to be intended for one-time use, not a replacement for the regular study order.

1. Is duplicating the deck and deleting the extra card types (and later copy-pasting them back in) the best way to only study some of the cards on the first go-around?
  2. Is there an easy way to divide a deck into “tiers” to have some control of the order of new cards but not specify an exact order?
  3. (less important) I’m studying multiple decks at once, and right now I’m studying them one at a time. I tried nesting them all in a new deck and studying that, but every time it switches decks I have to read the heading that I added to the cards so I’d know what I’m looking at, and then I have to identify what information I’m supposed to be recalling. (For example, if I get a Hebrew print character, I want to remember the name and the script character. It it’s a Japanese kana, I want to remember the sound/romaji and the stroke order.) It seems useful to let Anki decide how many new things to introduce based on everything I’m currently studying, but not if it’s going to slow me down or make me leave out some of the information I want to recall. Is there a better way to do this?

This sounds like a job for filtered decks using tags as the search.

2 Likes

Also, a common startegy is suspending the whole deck and unsuspending some cards (usually with a certain tag) whenever you’re ready for the next batch.

As for your third question, that sounds like your card design could be improved.
First, you should use separate cards for separate information, that’s the minimum information principle. Why not have one card where you see the Kana and have to recall the reading and one where you see the romaji (or hear the reading) and have to draw the kana?
That alone should be enough so you don’t have to think about what kind of information you have to recall. (There are plenty of other reasons why this is the superior approach, by the way.)
But to further help with that, you can give each template a distinct look, e.g. a different background. You will soon be able to recognise what is asked of you without thinking.

2 Likes

If I create a filtered deck with the max limit on the number of cards, it will try to teach me all the cards in one day, right? But if I choose “20” and study them, will the deck add 20 new cards every day I study it, or will it always have only the first 20? Meaning I’d have to rebuild the deck every day? Also, how do I filter which card types get shown?

Definitely going to play around with this. But I don’t want to create a separate deck for stroke order, and only the single-kana cards have stroke order. Is there a way to create a card type that will only make cards for some of the notes? Because if using the same deck is going to make a bunch of cards where the answer is blank, I’ll probably just not use Anki to review that part at all.

Don’t understand, decks could have any kind of card type, and you could always change the card type for each card later.

Right now I have two card types and 122 notes. I want to keep everything I have and add two new card types, but I don’t want the new types to use all of the 122 notes. I want Anki to only make cards for the ones that don’t have a particular field empty. For example, there’s a note for “fa,” but there’s no stroke order diagram because it’s two characters. Combining them makes a new sound, so when I’m practicing reading, I want a card for that, but when I’m practicing writing, there’s no new information to learn from that note, so I don’t want that type of card.

Anki’s got you covered: Selective Card Generation.

1 Like

That’s perfect! It only created the 71 cards I wanted, even though the card editor says it will be used for 122 cards. Confusing, but not a problem.