Subdeck 1:

Subdeck 2:

Anki Version/Info:

Anki 2.1.49 (dc80804a) Python 3.8.6 Qt 5.14.2 PyQt 5.14.2
Platform: Windows 10
Flags: frz=True ao=False sv=3
Add-ons, last update check: 2022-01-06 19:55:03

===Add-ons (active)===
(add-on provided name [Add-on folder, installed at, version, is config changed])

===IDs of active AnkiWeb add-ons===

===Add-ons (inactive)===
(add-on provided name [Add-on folder, installed at, version, is config changed])
Anki Zoom [‘538879081’, 2020-04-03T17:20, ‘v1.1.3’, mod]
AnkiConnect [‘2055492159’, 2021-12-26T22:22, ‘None’, ‘’]
CrowdAnki JSON exportimport Edit history Collaborate on deck creation [‘1788670778’, 2021-12-18T16:21, ‘None’, ‘’]
Image Occlusion Enhanced for Anki 21 alpha [‘1374772155’, 2020-04-27T19:21, ‘None’, ‘’]
Improved Quizlet to Anki 21 Importer [‘538351043’, 2020-11-14T18:16, ‘None’, ‘’]
Syntax Highlighting for Code [‘1463041493’, 2018-10-06T18:31, ‘None’, ‘’]

What am I doing wrong, is Anki not set up to handle sub-decks like this for new card scheduling?

Subdeck limits do not affect subsubdecks. The 2021 scheduler - Frequently Asked Questions

Ok so the solution here is to just break out “Real Estate” and “Series 7” to their own decks and the limiting of new cards should work?

I’m a little bummed about this as interleaving has been shown to have great effects on memory.

It’s not clear to me exactly what you’re trying to accomplish. If you want cards from the subdecks of ‘real estate’ to appear, you need to give those subsubdecks their own non-zero limit.

I’ve found it’s really nice to get a trickle of new cards. So, 1 new card from both “Real Estate” and “Series 7”; both of these subdeck’s new cards per day are set to 1. I set my “Finance” parent deck to new cards = 2. When I try to study new cards by clicking on the Finance parent deck I’m now prompted with 2 newcards from “Real Estate” subdeck and 0 from “Series 7”.

I’ve read what you sent previously, I understand that I’m going to only get 2 new cards per day if I click on the “Finance” parent deck, my question is why are both of those new cards only from “Real Estate”?

The initial issue I outlined above showed that the parent deck somehow wasn’t respecting the limits that the child decks have in place (as both child decks shouldn’t be able to “feed” any cards to the parent deck), I still don’t understand why this is.

Because “Real Estate” contains other subbdecks:

Previously each deck’s limit was limited by its parent limits, grandparent limits, and so on. This has been simplified to the following:

• Each deck’s limit controls how many cards from that specific deck can be used.
  • The deck you select controls the maximum number of cards that will be shown in the study session.

Maybe the example in this section of the manual can make things clearer:
https://docs.ankiweb.net/deck-options.html#new-cardsday

1 Like

I’m sure there was a strong reason to do this and I’m very happy with the software overall.

This feels very unintuitive and I’m sure I’m not the only user who feels this way (likely the cause of the indepth explanation on the website).

I’ll likely toggle off my check for the v3 scheduler as this should fix this issue right?

I hope that there would be some switch to enable this v2 new cards limiting behavior in the full release of the v3 scheduler. I guess, relevant XKCD.

It may feels counterintuitive when you’re not used to that new behavior, but after a while it makes sense. You can deactivate V3 scheduler, but overall it offers many advantages and much more flexibility than V2, and you’ll loose that too.

You set limits on things in order to limit them, this behavior makes no sense.

Please, take a look here, in particular the last post:

You still can use scheduler v2 if you want to keep the subdecks limit thing, but believe me, eventually you’ll get used to “One deck > One limit” philosophy, and v3 offers so many improvements that going back to v2, doesn’t really worth.

Believe me, I’ve given this “One limit” philosophy a fair shot for 9 months; and it was a constant frustration that limit rules weren’t being sensibly enforced. If anything this bug report you link proves the point that Anki is breaking a core piece of functionality.

Well, to be fair that was not a bug report, but a feature request. The change was intentional and the funcionality is still there, but you need to do things a little bit differently, that’s all.
I fully understand your point, because I was also used to use parent limits, but after a few days, I really didn’t miss that at all. However, if using parent limits is important for your workflow, please remember that you can still use scheduler v2 with newer Anki versions

Ok, I understand.

(I’m hoping to leave this thread on a better/sweet note after being confrontational.)

I want to be clear, I’m very passionate about this software BECAUSE it’s so useful to me. It has substantially changed the course of my life for the better. There frankly is such a joy in learning things you’re interested in, and a simplicity in the approach SRS takes. I simply want to see this project (and SRS more generally) flourish, that’s the reason I wrote the bug report; not to waste anyone’s time, or drain/peeve contributors/maintainers.

Damian and “cqg” thanks for maintaining/supporting Anki.

1 Like