Sibling cards being buried with bury siblings turned off

• I am using a deck that has around 9 cards per note (pepper pathoma deck). When the cards are in the review phase, the siblings are being buried despite the bury siblings setting being turned off.
  • I am using Anki Version ⁨23.12. on Mac with FSRS enabled, anki helper addon installed with disperse siblings enabled.
  • I’ve ensured that bury siblings is turned off and that it is applied to all subdecks. I verified that all of my presets have bury siblings turned off.
  • I’ve tried deleting the deck and then reimporting it.
  • This issue does not happen on my other decks where it is one card per note even when there are multiple cloze deletions on a single card.
  • When I turn FSRS off, the issue goes away.

When is:buried is typed into the search bar of the browser no cards are shown.

What makes you think cards are being buried if none of them are showing up as buried?

It seems much more likely that “disperse siblings” is keeping your sibling cards away from each other. I suspect if you either turn that feature off, or disable the add-on, that will also make the “issue” go away.

1 Like

I assumed they were buried because I couldn’t think of any other reason for my card count to go down by 9 each time I answered a card.

I turned the disperse siblings setting off and that seemed to fix it. (I can’t believe I didn’t think of that)

For all of my other decks, the disperse siblings setting has been really nice because it prevents me from seeing two cards of the same note back to back, and I’d never had it change my review count in this manner.

Thank you for your help!

Burying is enough to keep that from happening.

But burying pushes them to the next day at minimum right? I would like to see both siblings in the same day, just not in succession.

Yes, burying keeps them from being shown on the same day. But “disperse siblings” won’t let you see them on the same day either.

If you want to control siblings within a day, there are some options for New cards being introduced. After that, every card is on its own path, so without burying (or disperse), there’s no way to guarantee they won’t be back-to-back.

Thank you for all of your input.
I guess I didn’t fully understand the functionality of the disperse feature. I was (wrongly) under the impression that the disperse siblings feature spread the siblings out within the same day. ie If I had 300 cards to review that day sibling 1 would be card 1 and sibling 2 would be card 299.

Now that I have read more about the auto disperse of siblings, I am still confused as to why my review cards behaved they way they did. I had 90ish review cards due for a specific deck, and each time I answered a card the number of review cards left for the day decreased by 9 which means anki would have only shown me 10 cards that day.

Based on the way I (now) understand the auto disperse siblings setting, it should have never shown 90 review cards for that day, instead the total review count should have started at 10 because anki should have scheduled all of the sibling cards on different days.

Is my thought process correct or am I missing something?

If I’m wrong about “disperse siblings” – I will stand corrected. But since the rest of FSRS doesn’t trifle with intervals under 1 day, I would be shocked if the Helper add-on were touching them. The docs specify “dates” when talking about what that feature does:

If the review dates of these cards are too close, they may interfere with or remind you of each other. Dispersing siblings can spread the review dates of these cards out as much as possible.

I think that’s going to turn on how those 9 siblings got scheduled on the same day in the first place.

• Were they New and all introduced on this day? If so, FSRS hasn’t touched them.
  • If they were Review cards – how did they all get set for the same day? Even if they started from the same day, either scheduling algorithm would have applied fuzz factor and I wouldn’t bet on them all being set on the same day. So, did you manually set them all on the same day?
  • Beyond that, which of the auto-disperse settings did you have enabled?
  • Were they New and all introduced on this day? If so, FSRS hasn’t touched them.

They had all been done in one study session two days prior. This would have been the first review phase due to FSRS scheduling them 2 days out upon my first answering of them.

• If they were Review cards – how did they all get set for the same day? Even if they started from the same day, either scheduling algorithm would have applied fuzz factor and I wouldn’t bet on them all being set on the same day. So, did you manually set them all on the same day?

I’m not really sure. I don’t have a problem with them all being scheduled on the same day tbh, I just don’t want them grouped together in a single study session. As far as I am aware, for all of the cards I have done in the months past, all of the cards of a deck tend to show up on the same day (assuming I answer them the same). I didn’t set any cards to be due manually, I honestly didn’t know that was something that could be done.

• Beyond that, which of the auto-disperse settings did you have enabled?

Just the FSRS Ankihelper → auto disperse siblings when review.

Now that I understand better how they got there – (even though I’m still a bit surprised they all made it to the same day) – with an interval as short as 2d, there’s not much that either scheduler can do with fuzz or dispersion for 9 siblings. Since FSRS applies both of those in a smart way, it must have looked at your parameters and determined that the 2d interval was pretty important for your retention, so didn’t want that to fluctuate by even a day (let alone the number of days it would have taken to spread them out on their own days!).

1 Like