Sequenced Study Workaround

Hi,

I am trying to learn some things that I need to know in sequence. Basically, formal proofs that can’t be randomized. I need a way to study A ~ Z each time.

Glutanimate recommended that folks use AnKing’s Advanced Browser in conjunction with his Advanced Previewer to achieve this… Basically, enter a sequential number in a Filed we can sort by via Advanced Browser, and then use his Advance Previewer to study in that sequence.

Sadly, Advanced Previewer has not been updated for 2.1.

Can you see any other way I could be able to achieve this? So that, for a Deck, or even a set of cards, I could review them in order by a variable I can define?

Card Creation time won’t work as some are theoretical proofs - I need a way to inset or re-order cards as the ideas conceptually link together / without regard to whenever the card was actually entered.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks,

Klip

Memorising sequencing of information requires different strategies, not just in terms of card design. I’m sure you’ve heard before that mnemonics are the best way to approach this. As an example, I wanted to remember the countries of Central America. So I have a card:

Front: What is the mnemonic for the countries of Central America?
Back: Baby Godzilla Eats Hotdogs, Not Coco Puffs

(Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama (north to south)

Once I had that memorised, I added the individual country cards (I use ultimate geography).

Mnemonics for maths proofs are a little trickier, but it gets easier as you become practiced at making them.

So that, for a Deck, or even a set of cards, I could review them in order by a variable I can define?

If you really want to do it this way, I’d suggest using filtered decks, and ordering the cards by ‘order added’. Assuming the cards were all created when the note was added, it will order by the card type or cloze number, which should be what you want (although if you go back and edit the clozes in a way that creates new cards it’ll screw up the order).

If you’re looking for a programatic way to order the cards, in a filtered deck you can set card.due:int and it will order the cards based on this value. Be careful not to set this value for cards not in a filtered deck.

3 Likes

You could study them in order using the V3 scheduler (beta)

1. put all the cards you want to study in order in the same deck
  2. go to the browser and sort them using the method you explained
  3. select all of them (e.g. with Ctrl+A)
  4. right click → reposition → apply these settings, then click on ok
  5. go to Tools → Preferences and update to the V3 scheduler
  6. open the deck’s options and set New card gather order to “Ascending position”:
  7. You should now be able to click on the deck and study your cards in the order you chose

If you do not want to update to the V3 scheduler you could follow a similar method but then use a filtered deck instead, selecting cards by “Order due”

1 Like

Hello @jcznk ,

W O W ! ! ! Ok! Going to try this out STRAIGHTAWAY! You may have just saved my bacon, BIG time! :smiley: I’ll post results.

Thanks!

Hi @jcznk ,

Ah! Bitter tears. :(…

To start, I made sure no cards were due. Some WERE due, but clicked through everything to get all decks at:

2022-04-18_18-45-55-717

Went through to Step 6: open the deck’s options and set New card gather order to “Ascending position”

Clicking the deck showed only:
2022-04-18_18-47-11-433

Tried the second method: If you do not want to update to the V3 scheduler you could follow a similar method but then use a filtered deck instead, selecting cards by “Order due”

Got:

What do you think is happening?

Thanks!

GTL

Oh!

1. I had assumed all the cards were new. This is necessary, as you can only reposition new cards
    (if you try to reposition not-new cards, this pop-up will appear
    image)
    In case you do not mind losing your progress, this is easily fixable: go to the browser → select all the cards you want to study in order → right click → forget ; all cards will be new again
    Then you can use the method explained above to reposition them
  2. No cards appear because when you click on a deck only due cards are shown, and as you explained there are none. Similarly about the filtered deck. The search filter contains “is:due”, and since there are none it matches no cards.
    (if you set the search filter like that by copying my screenshot, sorry, it was only meant to show where to find “order due”)
  3. I thought about this a bit better and, if you want to study those cards in the same order every single time, the following method should be best.
  • Make all cards new again
  • Reposition them
  • Create a filtered deck with these settings:

Notice that “Reschedule cards based on my answers in this deck” is set to no.
This is important, otherwise, the order you set by repositioning them would soon be lost
(e.g. because of how you rate your cards when you review them, and also because Anki’s scheduling is to a small degree random)
Anki won’t work as a spaced-repetition tool for this deck, or at least you won’t be able to rely on Anki’s algorythm to schedule the cards for you, but you gain the ability to see them in the same order every single time

• Study your deck (if you only want to see each card once, click “Easy” on all of them)
  • When you want to study the deck again, just click on “rebuild”
2 Likes

My personal opinion on this is that spaced repetition is the main point of Anki, and it does it very well. If that is not desired, then my recommendation would be that a different flash card platform would be easier to work with than trying to make Anki not do what it was designed to do.

2 Likes

Hi @jcznk ,

Ohhhhhh, Y E A H ! ! !

Wow! I was despairing there for a good few minutes. I didn’t realize I needed to type in the value

deck:Fruit

I went through it TWICE. SLOWLY went trough the steps then… I SAW THAT !

It WORKS!!! I’ve got 95 cards staring me in the face from A~Z, TOTALLY sequenced.

Let me see if I have the process correct, please:

1.) Go to the browser → select all the cards you want to study in order → right click → forget ; all cards will be new again

2.) Select all, right click → reposition → apply these settings, then click on ok

2022-04-18_22-02-45-196

3.) Create a filtered deck with these settings (Notice that “Reschedule cards based on my answers in this deck” is set to no.)
2022-04-18_22-12-02-483

4.) Study your deck (if you only want to see each card once, click “Easy” on all of them)

5.) When you want to study the deck again, just click on “rebuild”

Do I have it right?

OTHER QUESTIONS
Up at the top you suggested:

Go to Tools → Preferences and update to the V3 scheduler

and

Open the deck’s options and set New card gather order to “Ascending position”.

Should I reset those back to another / default value? These are not part of the process now. Am I right?

Uber, ultra, alta THANKS!

Klip

About the first part: correct!

About the V3 scheduler: it is not strictly needed for this method to work, but I would keep it active.
From https://faqs.ankiweb.net/the-2021-scheduler.html:

Filtered decks with rescheduling disabled now show 4 buttons (instead of 3) - the provided delay applies to the Again button, and Hard/Good will use 1.5x and 2x the provided delay. Easy will remove the card.

Thus it should give you quite a bit more control over your reviews.

About New card gather order: it should not make any difference wheter you keep those settings or not, at least regarding this method. You can do as you like

Hi @jcznk ,

THANK YOU , again! Works like a CHARM! H U G E help! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: ! ! !

Sincerely,

Klip

1 Like