Reverse Cards for Cloze card type for Windows

domain: language learning
problem: reverse cards for cloze

I want to use anki for learning a language. But for the language to be learnt, I wish to add an example sentence (idea: words in context). I thought about using the card type cloze to only reveal the sentence with the back card, so that the sentence does not serve as an additional retrieval cue.

I’ve found this video: Anki 2: Switching Card Order - YouTube but it works with apple, I’m on a windows computer and didn’t find the equivalent options.

So far I have:

front:
{{newLanguage}}

{{cloze:exampleSentence}}

back:
{{newLanguage}}

{{cloze:exampleSentence}}

{{firstLanguage}}

This works great with the translation newLanguage → firstLanguage. However for language learning it’s essential to also cover the reversed case. So I need that a second card (similar to basic and reversed, but with cloze) is automatically created and asked in the format:

front:
{{firstLanguage}}

back:
{{firstLanguage}}

{{newLanguage}}

{{exampleSentence}}

However I did not manage to add this reversed option to cloze cards.

I hope someone else has already encountered the same issue. Maybe there’s also an easier way to implement it than with cloze. Thanks a lot in advance.

Using a cloze note type to hide the example sentence is the wrong way to go about it. You can just add the example field to the back of both card types.

The video you linked is a bit old, but the process of adding a reverse card is similar in new versions.

After clicking the Cards button to go to the cards layout screen, you will find an Options menu to the top right. Click on it then click Add Card Type.

You can then modify the front and back of the new card type to look something like this:
Front:

{{firstLanguage}}

Back:

{{newLanguage}}
{{exampleSentence}}

You also have to modify the first card type to remove {{cloze:exampleSentence}} from the front and replace {{cloze:exampleSentence}} by {{exampleSentence}}

2 Likes

By the way, you can also use the hint filter to hide the example sentence behind a button. See Field Replacements - Anki Manual

2 Likes

@abdo thank you so much! That hint option saved me. Why did I not come across this earlier, but wanted to take the hard way with cloze. Anyway, thanks a lot.

1 Like