'Position' info is shown even when the card is not new

Hello,

The manual says that the ‘Position’ info is only shown when the card is new.

Position
Only shown when the card is new, it shows the order the card will appear in relative to other new cards. The position can be changed in the browser.

https://docs.ankiweb.net/stats.html?highlight=position#card-info

Example of ‘Position’ info on ‘new’ card

So, I expected that the ‘Position’ info is not shown after the new card is answered, but the ‘Position’ info seems to be shown even after the new card is answered and the card is turned into either ‘learning’ card or ‘review’ card.

‘Position’ info on ‘learning’ card

‘Position’ info on ‘review’ card

I am wondering if they are intentional behaviors. How about not showing the ‘Position’ info after once the card is answered?

Thank you for reading.

Reproduction step
  1. Answer a new card (Rate ‘Again’ or ‘Hard’ or ‘Good’ or ‘Easy’ on a new card)
  2. Open the info of the card
Debug info

Anki 23.12 (4109d1e8)
Python 3.9.15 Qt 6.6.0 PyQt 6.6.0
Platform: Windows-10-10.0.19045

Recent Anki versions remember the position, and can restore it when a card is reset to new. I will update the manual.

Thank you for the reply. I have read the update.

Even so, however, isn’t there almost no need to show the new card position of non-new cards? It seems rather a bit confusing to show it.

What do you think about the idea of hiding the new card position info when the card is not new, while remembering it on background?

Shared deck authors may potentially find the original position useful if they want to check the position non-new cards will appear in when they’re reset to new, though to be fair it’s not very convenient to check this for each card from the card info screen. @Rumo do you remember the original thinking here / have any thoughts on showing it only for new cards?

I don’t remember the reasoning, maybe it was just, the more info the better. Don’t really have an opinion on this.

Ok, thanks - I’ve hidden it in the latest beta. If it proves to be missed, we should probably reveal it in the browse screen instead.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the change!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.