Anki Forums

Open In External Editor, Rename, Duplicate for Image, Audio,Video [Official thread]

If you have a problem with the add-on add-on OpenInExternalEditor,Rename,Duplicate for Image,Audio,Video post in this thread. This way I get notified. If you make a new thread I might miss it.

Hello, I’m trying to open a card field in VSCode for Mac by setting the option to “code” or “code --wait” with no luck. The textfield flashes but nothing happens. The only way it works is if I set “open -t” in the options, but then VSCode doesn’t save back to the field.

I’m running Anki 2.1.28 and VSCode 1.47.3 on MacOS 10.14.6.

Thanks for your help!

The add-on “OpenInExternalEditor,Rename,Duplicate for Image,Audio,Video” is meant to edit image, audio, and video files in an image editor like paint or audio editor like audacity. I would never use VSCode for this.

If you want to edit the html source code in VSCode I would use External Editor, if you want to edit some latex maybe text editor for Latex, the selection or html source (FORK).

You write about “the option” but my add-on has about 20 different config options so I don’t know what you mean. If you really want to use my add-on here I need more info like the whole config and exact steps you take and how this could work with VSCode.

Sorry I’m already using External Editor, I just posted in the wrong thread!

Hello, I want to edit image on Win10 with its built-in software"Photos" ,
but I can’t find its path, so I can’t add it to add-on’s configuration.
Win10‘s built-in software seems can’t to find their path.
Could you give me some help?
Thanks.

@hrdom: If you google for something like “windows store app cli” you should find guides on how to find their path, see e.g. here.

But that’s not enough. The add-on passes the filename as a command line argument to the binary. But as far as I see app store apps often don’t take command line arguments. So even if you have find the path you might fail. I have no solution for this. I just use regular windows apps that I installed myself like paint .net.

Instead of my add-on maybe also have a look at Image Editor. I have never used this add-on but it seems to be independent from your local apps so that you don’t have the problem of calling an external binary.

1 Like

Thank you.
I’ll have a look and decide to use regular windows apps if it has some problem.

Hello,
I’m using anki version 2.1.5 on Windows 10 and when I am trying to install your addon, it’s says that either the code is invalid, or that it’s not available for my version.
Is there a way to make it work ?
Thanks.

@benten: My add-on depends on features that were introduced in Anki 2.1.15. So 2.1.5 is too old. As an add-on uploader I can set compatibility info and I set on Ankiweb that only users with 2.1.15 or newer can install it. So you would need a newer Anki version to use my add-on.

Hi, i want to edit video and there is a video editing software on Windows 10, i don’t know if it’s useful.Can you please recommend the software you use or give me some advice?
Thanks in advance.