Anki Forums

Ogg files suported in Anki Mobile

Hi,

A lot of people use whatsapp when doing language learning sessions. During these sessions, a lot of times phrases and sentences are recorded. The problem is, when made into Anki Cards for Iphone, they do not play. Is there a work around for this? Anyway to make Iphone play ogg files? I am trying to teach some technically basic people these methods, bulk conversion would seem to be too complicated.

Thanks

1 Like

iOS’s media playing code doesn’t support ogg files I’m afraid, so you’ll either need to bulk-convert the files, or record them in a different format. mp3 is the most widely supported, and is what I’d recommend.

1 Like

Yes, use VLC for mobile, it plays ogg (opus) files nicely on the iphone.
Would be nice if that feature could also be added to anki mobile. VLC is open source, so should be possible to understand how they play ogg files.

Are there any plans to add ogg/opus support to Anki on iOS? If it supported ogg/opus, people could ditch mp3 for good since Anki on every other platform already supports it.

Unless Apple add support for it, I’m afraid ogg support is unlikely in the near future.