MathJax Inline Uppercase Alpha \(\Alpha\) Not Working good

Using a macOS Monterey iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021) Anki Version ⁨2.1.49 (dc80804a)⁩
Python 3.8.6 Qt 5.14.2 PyQt 5.14.2

The inLine MathJax (\Alpha) expression or command does not render the capital Alpha character. Other capital letter expressions render as expected - for instance (\Gamma)

Lowercase alpha expression (\alpha) works as expected.

I toggled off all add-ons, stopped and restarted Anki, checked database but problem persisted.

Using ‘Basic Type In card type’.

That does not appear to be valid MathJax:

It’s valid syntax for Anki - other letters uppercase and lowercase using the same syntax display Greek letters as expected however there are some exceptions in each of lower and upper case.

Given Anki supports UTF-8 I discovered I can simply copy and paste from web listings of the Greek letters as a workaround.

Btw, a capital alpha is pretty much a capital a. So you could simply replace \Alpha with A and no one will notice.

Yes that works for A but there are other random cases where the MathJax expression is not converted to the Greek letter both for uppercase and lowercase

This is not an Anki-specific issue, it is the way MathJax works, and judging by the link I posted above, it will probably not be changed in the near future.

Thanks Dea. I downloaded MacTex and it’s works well so fR.

Could you provide an example of a greek letter that differs from the latin form, and which is not rendered in MathJax?

Will give it a go and get back to you.

I now know that any letter that is similar to Latin letters is rendered as latin but if memory serves me correctly I hit issues where that was not the case. Either way I’ll get reply back here with what I find

Ok I did a full input of all Greek letters and it’s ‘my bad’

What I didn’t understand is that if the Greek letter looks like Latin letter then don’t use ‘MathJax inline’ use the Latin letter. Even more ‘my bad’ on checking the manual there is a link to a cheatsheet that gives the info I needed to avoid the problem in the first place. Ugh …

1 Like