macOS emoji picker not working in editor view

Hei there :wave:

I am experiencing issues adding emojis while reviewing my cards. I use the Command+Control+Spacebar shortcut a lot and for some reason in the editor view it simply does not work. This is very annoying since I have to switch apps and then copy / paste. Is there any way to resolve this?

In case it’s not clear, here is a short YouTube video demonstrating the issue.

Thanks!

Version info

Version 2.1.35 (84dcaa86)
Python 3.8.0 Qt 5.14.2 PyQt 5.14.2

Could replicate. In many cases it works (Browse search bar, rename fields, rename decks, fields in Add Cards), but doesn’t seem to work in Edit Cards dialog… This is a bit surprising, because why should it work in Add Cards, but not Edit Cards?

1 Like

I’m guessing it is because the add cards screen does not have its own set of menus.

I can live without this but it would be so pleasant if it did work. I use emojis a lot and not being able to quickly add them is painful.

If you don’t have time to fix, is this something new contributors could look into?

Someone’s welcome to look into it, but whether a fix can be accepted into the core code will depend on how invasive it is/the possible side-effects it might have

For anyone who comes across this. I figured out a quick workaround. You have to open the Emoji-Picker-Keyboard on your Mac and then select the Emoji and pull it into the editor window with your mouse.

4 Likes