Japanese input with ibus/mozc buggs out when adding/editing notes

I’m on Pop Os! writing in japanese characters using ibus with mozc and it works great. Anki it playes nicely with anki, but when adding and editing notes my ibus crashes as soon as i write anything and i have to switch to my default input method for it to reset.

Any idea why this would exclusive to ankis note fields? All other inputfields, i.e the search bar, works just fine. Another wierd thing is that it sometimes doesn’t chrash if there already is some japanese text in the field before writing.

Which Anki version are you using?

Please make sure you always hit enter to remove the underline/popup before clicking into a different field/adding a note/etc, as performing actions while there’s a pending string can cause the toolkit to bug out. You could also try the latest qt6 beta version to see if it helps at all. https://betas.ankiweb.net/

Sounds like a mozc issue that was fixed a while back. Not sure of the exact fix version, but updating to mozc 2.26.4472.100 should do the trick.

Relevant GitHub issues:

1 Like

Seems like that version isnt available as an ibus package yet, guess i’ll just have to wait for the nex update from my ppa. (don’t want to compile it for myself)

You could switch to fcitx-mozc or fcitx5-mozc. I did some years ago and never looked back. It has a different look (highly customizable if you hate it), but I never once had any issues or glitches with it. IBus seems to be less reliable across updates with Qt apps in particular, presumably since the IBus IME plugin is part of Qt itself, whereas Fcitx is its own IME.

If you want to stay on IBus and can get ahold of old packages, mozc <=2.23.2815.102 is not yet affected by this issue. Old mozc versions also have the advantage of handwriting input support via tegaki-zinnia.

1 Like