iOS beta #20080.2 - More new cards after review limit is met

Until today, it was happening every day. I think it has to happen 1) when there are new cards to learn, and 2) when there are more cards due than the maximum daily review count, such that it cuts out some but not all of the new cards.

On the past days, for testing purposes I was temporarily reducing my max daily review limit until the point where it withheld one new card (so it presented only one instead of 2, my setting for daily new cards in that deck). Then when I reviewed everything to the congratulations screen, it would then add the remaining new card that was supposed to be withheld because of the limit. Today was one of those days where a spike occurred, such that I had more cards to review to the point where no new cards were introduced.

I am not sure that it only happens on a particular deck, as I have seen it on two of my three. At present, it is only happening on my deck “Where ini the Bible?,” as that is the only deck where I presently still have new cards waiting on me.

By the way, I meant to tell you that I am really happy with the V3 scheduler, particularly with this improved max review feature. It really helps flatten out the spikes. Thank you.

Thanks Garret, I’ll try to reproduce this when I have a chance.

I suspect this was a side-effect of another bug that was resolved in 2.1.49/the latest AnkiMobile beta. Are you able to reproduce it after updating?

Thanks for coming back to this. I have tested with AnkiMobile beta 20081.2 (as of this moment the current on TestFlight), and unfortunately the issue is still present.

I do not know whether this is more helpful for you than text, but I have made a short video of the steps I have done, and I have also not synced my latest progress to AnkiWeb yet, so that the state you see in the video is the state that is in AnkiWeb so you can test if you wish. I will try not to sync for a couple days unless I hear from you first.

The video is available here:

Thank you for the excellent reproduction steps! I’ve grabbed a copy of your collection, and can reproduce this by setting my clock back. Since I have a local copy it’s safe to resume syncing now; I will dig into this further and get back to you.

1 Like

Please give the latest build a try and let me know if it does not resolve your issue: New toolkit and packaging test (round 2)

I made a quick test with the mac QT6 Intel build. When I attempt to follow my recipe in the video, it now appears to be resolved.

I don’t think I have ever studied with the desktop app before (though I am well familiar with using it to manage notes, my preferred way to add and manage notes). I assume this scheduling issue would not be dependent on the platform, but it is possible I am doing something differently since I am not familiar with reviewing on desktop. When the next AnkiMobile beta hits, I will test again there, and if there is a problem, I will let you know.

1 Like

And now I have tested in AnkiMobile beta build 20081.3 - it seems resolved. Thanks.

1 Like

This issue, or something like it, is back again in AnkiMobile beta 20081.6. When I got to the end of a deck, I reached the congratulations screen, and then the Decks screen said I had one more card left in that deck. I tapped on the deck, and it only showed the congratulation screen. When I synced, then I could tap on the deck and see the remaining card.

I am sorry that I am in a hurry today, so I can’t test in more detail at the moment. I would have waited to say anything until later, but I know that you are getting close to release.

Now that I think about it, I do notice this one difference compared to our earlier discussion: this time it happened with a deck that had only 15 cards for review today, even though the deck limit is 25. So the max daily limit should not be involved this time.

I studied this deck immediately after installing the latest beta over the current release version. Could it be possible that it was actually the release version (which is known to have the bug discussed earlier in this post) that caused the issue this time, even if it manifested right after I first installed the latest beta.

@LesLandau reported a similar issue as well. In his case it was a relearning card that appears to have been buried the previously day (due to a sibling being reviewed). How about in your case?

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this - the release can be pushed back a little bit if we need more time.

It was a relearning card (if I have remembered correctly which one was the additional card), but I don’t remember burying it, though it is possible. I’m sorry I don’t have precise details.

Do you use sibling burying? If so, if/when it occurs again, please see if any of its siblings were reviewed recently.

I do use sibling bury, but not on the deck where this issue occurred: all of these notes have only one card each.

I am keeping an eye out for the issue in hopes to discern a pattern. Today’s study with the .6 beta had no issue at all.

If it pops up again, please let me know. If I don’t hear from you by Sunday, I’ll assume it was a byproduct of the previous version, and proceed with the stable release.

It is Sunday morning and I have already done my study for the day. I still have not seen this issue come up again. In the last several days, AnkiMobile beta 20081.6 has behaved just as it should for me in every respect.

1 Like

This occurred again this morning. I had finished a deck “auslan_part1” and had then increased the review limit to beyond the number outstanding and had then completed that. I then studied other decks and while in the middle of another, I went to another app on the iPad, completely unrelated. Upon returning to anki I noticed there was now 1 card due in the “auslan_part1” deck. I do believe it was a sibling of a card asked earlier, but I cannot be 100% sure. I will try to attach the info screen for the card as well as having synced and have left the card outstanding. I will do the same with more cards this morning and also leave anki and return to see if I can reproduce this.
Sorry, could not work out how to attach the screen shot. It said it was due today and the last review was yesterday.

THe same thing happenned again today, with the same deck of auslan_part1. After I’d finished the deck, increased the number of reviews for today, completed them all as verified by the stats screen and the congratulations screen and the deck screen, I went to study another deck and then went outside anki and noticed when I came back, that a backup was completing. At this point the deck screen showed 4 cards due for review in the auslan_part1 deck. I have sync’d and will leave that deck while I study the remainder later today.

I have verified that the siblings of each of the “extra” cards were asked today, by looking at each and then finding the card and checking in the info that it was last reviewed today. I don’t know why these 4 were chosen. There are many cards in that deck that are buried.
They all seem to be valid to be due today, although their sibling was asked today. It sort of looks like they were being passed over during the display of cards, but then later (and I believe it is after a backup) they appear.
No other deck did this today.
Do you have any suggestions of capturing this? Would it help exporting the deck package, including scheduling but excluding media, and doing this before starting then when deck is finished and then after it occurs, IF it does?

It sounds like this may be the same issue as Inconsistent card counts when syncing