How to undo card reveal when reviewing cards?

I have a template like this:

“Some information about my card”
{{c1::a}} - b
{{c1::c}} - d
{{c1::e}} - f

In older version of anki, i could just press “edit” and “close” it to Hide card over again, and check if i answered right or wrong step by step. Now i can’t do it, and it makes over 1000 cards that i entered by this year useless;

For me personally could’ve worked solution with revealing answers one by one if i have multiples cloze.

Here is thread in the reddit, basically there is a workaround with “eddit cards”, now it’s not available.

Because the best way to learn language is to do it in context ,this kind of template is very useful for me, i can read sentence and check some highlighted text for translation. Then if i still didn’t memorized some word in the card i can create a new card with this word only.

3 Likes

What exactly prevents you from using cloze-deletion as they were intended to be used? For instance by having

“Some information about my card”
{{c1::a}} - b
{{c2::c}} - d
{{c3::e}} - f

I can’t separate information in the card, because as i mentioned before, i’m learning language through some context, and It’s very important for me to have everything in one card.

Also it will be impossible to learn it this way, cos im already doing about 100 card a day with such method, and it’ll be 400+ if I’d separate them with c1 c2 c3 etc, ofc it will be also harder to memorize some info out of the context. It’s much easier to learn several words in one sentence that i can just copy paste from my text book, then create a sentence for every word. I have about 50-100 new words that i have to learn every day, ofc im skipping some of them, but it’s still pretty huge amount to make cloze for every one of them.

Thanks for the link!

This way you would still have everything on one card.

Yes, indeed, it’s easier to memorize info with context, but it’s also very easy to not memorize anything if you have too much context, because in real life you won’t have the same context you always had when studying certain vocabulary.
Also, consider that having too much information on a single card does not make memorizing easier, but way harder. See this article about the very basic rules you should have in mind when creating content.

Turns out that the quantity of cards alone is not the only indicator of how hard it’s going to be to memorize some content. The quantity of information also matters, and (up to some point), spreading information among more cards makes it easier on the whole. So, for a given amount of information, it’s (most of the time) better to have 400 atom cards than 100 bloated ones.

Yes, but having better quality cards (each card made exactly for one word) also improves the quality of the learning. It takes more time (does it really? it’s not that much of an overhead) but in the long run it saves you lot of studying.

In short: I would really recommend to try out the intended way of using Anki (because there are reasons why Anki was built this way, it was not random design choices :stuck_out_tongue:), and then if you are not satisfied, try a different way and compare. But don’t start with a different way, you can’t compare if you haven’t tried the intended way.

6 Likes

To further support @BlackBeans’s point, if you learn less words, but more sentences, that’s more efficient in my experience, because you will see words in different contexts giving you a better grasp of their meaning than dictionary definitions, and of course it also helps with grammar.
That being sad, doing 100 cards a day is an admirable effort and will go a long way if you stick to it. Keeping that habit is much more important than completely optimising everything. :+1:

3 Likes

I recommend phrases rather than whole sentences, unless they are very short. But to to learn all the words in the phrase; rather the phrase over all. The more phrases make sense to you, the more likely you will be able to make up new phrases that make sense…