Have an "Onboarding" deck for beginners

When the app starts up for the first time, it asks the user whether they are a beginner or not; then it asks whether they would like to create an “Onboarding” deck to help them get accustomed to the app. The deck would talk about the major features of Anki in a question-answer type format, like “What is the keyboard shortcut for making a card as “Easy”?” “How to see the list of all cards in a deck?” etc.

4 Likes

ideas/examples

Interactive tutorial (Web page): Learn to Code From Zero with Godot
Source code

Godot Tour (insde the app)

Source code & Translations

Let me know if you have more examples/projects, preferable open source

1 Like

I have suggested this in the past, but it doesn’t seem like the devs think it’s a good idea: Include a pre-made deck with explanations of settings, terms (sibling, leech, etc.) and shortcuts - #6 by Shigeyuki
On r/Anki opinions were mixed: Reddit - Dive into anything

3 Likes

icic, thanks for pointing it out

Last year I spent about 6 months developing Anki’s tutorial like visual novel add-on and then abandoned the development halfway through because it was just too annoying. This screen shot is from the development process, and currently there are 6 chapters.

1 Like

Anki Waifu when /j

3 Likes

I think the a intro deck would go against some of the “rules” of spaced repetition. Namely:

• don’t learn things you do not understand.
  • learn before you memorize.
4 Likes

How so? The deck isn’t to memorize anything right? It is to understand the app. I was surely confused what to do when I first tried Anki because it comes completly empty.

2 Likes

For what is worth, SM18 has an introductory “deck” which does a pretty good job at explaining the basics of the software.

This is the list of contents:

1 Like

Yeah, that’s where I got the idea of a deck for beginners. Feel free to try and change Dae’s mind

• don’t learn things you do not understand.
  • learn before you memorize.

This is good “if the world were perfect” advice, but I’ve had a lot of cards that I didn’t understand fully until I memorized not only it, but then a number of related cards. Then the entire concept clicked.

So I don’t think this should be, in and of itself, a reason to not have particular cards.

Because the world isn’t perfect.

Great idea. Could be very good in getting educators into the Anki loop.

1 Like

I’m sure this has been discussed before, but since I can’t seem to find the previous thread: I don’t think an onboarding deck is a good idea.

• Initial learning benefits from verbose prose, supporting diagrams and so on. Subsequent review is best done with terse cards that can be reviewed quickly. Trying to shoehorn the manual into a deck is going to result in flashcards that don’t follow best practice.
  • What a user considers worthy of review varies from user to user, and a deck is harder to skim through / focus on the topics the user is interested in.
  • Maintenance of an onboarding deck would be more difficult than the manual, both in terms of making changes, and getting those changes out to users who had used the deck previously.
2 Likes

Yep, that’s right, creating texts is a lot of workload anyway.

• There are very few text resources available.
    I have to create my own, using AnkiManual and other resources as references.
    This workload is about the same as writing a book.
    (And I need to Restart Anki to make sure it works, page by page!)

• The content quickly becomes obsolete.
    For example, while I was explaining SM2, FSRS was introduced and the V2 scheduler was removed.
    (In short, it became obsolete during development!)

• The tutorial is only required the first time.
    So there is no need for it from the average Anki user or power user.
    That means, these are very boring and trivial even if I create them perfectly.
    (You will feel like you are forced to read AnkiManual).

Thus, my current development ideas are these.

• Anki deck for veteran users. Anki terms, shortcut keys and functions.
    Long-term use and easy to fix because they are cards.
    Resources are plentiful so they are easy to gather.

• Completely ignore the description of how to operate Anki.

For example,

• :x: Tutorial 1: Let’s start by creating one Anki card.
    First, click [add] next to the toolbar, then…

• :o: Mission 1: Create one new Anki card! (5 points) Can you do it?
    → Wow, congratulations! You are a genius!

Personally, when I was saying “onboarding deck” I was thinking of something more like a Information Card. I don’t know if you have seen those in Shared Decks, but it generally isn’t meant for reviewing stuff.
The last one I saw had “Information Card” on the front as a topic and the back contained all necessary information about the deck with a link to shared deck page. You are supposed to either delete or suspend them afterwards. I thought maybe a deck with one or two cards in it with some info on how to proceed from here.

We can certainly truncate the content down to a few pages by only adding things that are absolutely necessary or maybe just link to the pages of the manual that is most useful. I personally took a whole day while trying to read the manual.

One example of what is not so important is searching. I mean if you’re just an Anki beginner you won’t be searching with properties or intervals. Fields getting marked for RTL is again not useful for a certain section of the users while Mathjax isn’t useful for language learners. I thought content can also thus be marked for people with different use cases so that they don’t need to deep dive into the manual from the get-go and instead read selected portions of it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.