"Getting Started" - Doesn't says how to get started

The “Getting started” - doesn’t actually tell you how to get started.
There’s a wall of text which is “Key Concepts” (I’d suggest these should be on a page called “Key Concepts” to make them easier to find), and a bunch of links to youtube videos that I initially missed because I was looking for text explaining how to Get Started.

In the spirit of being constructive, I did include some links to good getting started docs as examples, but apparently I’m not allowed to include them (anti-spam I guess).

You overlooked that the first thing on the page is links to the installation instructions for all platforms – arguably the most important first step if someone wants to start using Anki. :sweat_smile:

Then you missed the first sentence above the videos – which cover the major topics.

That’s all before you get to –

You say “wall of text” – I say “important information that answers about 90% of the questions new users have.” :grin: It is inescapable that if someone wants to learn about how to use Anki, we’re going to have to tell them something. The page offers videos, and it offers text – not sure how the information could be covered better in this particular environment. HOWEVER there’s currently a discussion going on about how to improve our onboarding process for new users – Revisiting onboarding decks and tutorials .

1 Like

Yes, the installation instructions definitely belong there.

The problem is that, after glancing through that page, I still have no clue how to actually get started with Anki. If a poweruser struggles with the “getting started”, how is someone without decades of experience with countless pieces of esoteric software going to handle Anki?
A user shouldn’t have to watch a video to learn the fundamentals of the software. It’s nice for those who like it and have the bandwidth, but text is good too.

As I said – the page offers videos, and the page offers text. I don’t know how we can help someone who is not interested in either one.

When you finished reading the page, what “get started” action did you want to do? Because the page explains the basics for how to create your own cards, and how to download cards. In a fresh install of Anki … those are the only available things to do.

Studying has its own page – since it’s impossible to do that until you’ve created or downloaded cards.

1 Like