Asking users to provide as much information as they can

when creating new topics, as you type in the title, in preview there is something like “Your topic is similar to…”.

i was wondering if it’s possible to show something like that in preview, before users write anything, and ask them to provide information and details about their issues.
there are instructions on how to ask good questions and what users can do to help people find out what’s wrong.

to me it makes more sense if that was shown when users had some issues and were trying to report them, not as a welcome message that 90% of people ignore.

i think if the Asking good questions (or at least a link to that page) was in the preview, we would see less topics that provide almost no info about their issues.

3 Likes

A link is pinned to the top - perhaps you already closed it so it no longer appears for you?

2 Likes

i think i have :expressionless:
but it makes more sense if it was in preview too. as they will see it every time they ask a question.

I’m not sure how much control Discourse gives me over that screen. And one of the design decisions they made is that pinned topics disappear after being read/dismissed - forcing a message in front of the user over and over again seems to run counter to that.

1 Like

right, i don’t know how this works tbh.
i was just wondering if that was possible.
no big deal if that’s not possible tho :slight_smile:

The link points to the same screen --> http://prntscr.com/wb6o1d

Strange, the link works for me.

works for me too

How= to ask question= See post-9

Users are expected to do some homework.
If you have made no effort to solve the problem,
people are less likely to help you.

*Search this Forum Asking users to provide as much information as they can - #9 by vit
*Search the Manual
*Search reddit Comments:
How to Search Reddit Effectively: Useful Tips and Tricks to Know

Anki version? Scheduler - Standard 2.1 or Beta?
Relevant Screen shoots.
Is the problem repeatable with Add-ons off ?

Help us help you !
Thank you

Well, that’s mostly rehashing what’s written on the getting started page - it would be easier to just link them to that page :slight_smile:

I may do it – if people support is feeble.