I keep my originals in (LibreOffice) spreadsheets. That enables me to update en masse in the case, e.g. where I misspelt a word that occurs several times.
Whenever I have updated the spreadsheet, I reimport it (ensuring that the first column remains the same). This allows me to have up-to-date information in Anki without losing any of the learning and review data.
I find using the first field as a Note ID allows me to ensure that that column remains the same. I found that requirement, when I corrected a sentence that was the Front field of a card. Importing that spreadsheet left me with two cards: one incorrect and one correct, because upon import the newly corrected Front field did not match anything already present and thus was added as a new card.