[Feature Request] Image Occlusion one-by-one reveal

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.
Not related to a problem

Describe the solution you’d like
Image Occlusion one-by-one reveal

Describe alternatives you’ve considered
Alternatives are using Anking IO one by one card template, that comes by installing Anking add-on (ton of bloatware), which in turn requires installing clozet add-on which hasn’t been updated in more than 3 years. The whole setup is very fidgety, does not feel smooth, dependent on multiple addons, one of which is not maintained, other of which is moving towards monetization, the anking add-on could any day become a paid thing.

Now that Anki has in-built Image Occlusion card type, one of the modes we could have is one-by-one card reveal, where the cards are revealed by clicking on them.

Showcase:

(source: taken from anking addon: AnKing Note Types (Easy Customization) - AnkiWeb)

2 Likes

I am not sure we should support this or not. But lets see what @glutanimate and @dae think about this?

It violates the minimum information principle - when users are testing that much on one card, any failure is going to result in the whole thing needing to be reviewed again.

1 Like

What constitutes minimum information is subjective right? In the attached gif above, clearly you wouldn’t test yourself on just one single label, in this case multiple labels would constitute minimum information. There are many use cases even in non-medical fields where a group of related pieces of information constitute minimum information.

Some other examples can include a process with parts, you want to remember the whole process as a collection of constituent parts, which are ordered.

Now one way most people go about achieving this is grouping masks, but that creates additional problems. Either you have to keep all answers in your short-term memory, and when you reveal, you have to compare each correct answer, with the answer in your short-term memory. Or you have to note it down somewhere, and then compare the answers. Not only is this process error-prone, but the delayed feedback has been studied to affect memorisation negatively.

This is one of the features I’ve added to my extended native IO note type, which is part of the new IO add-on I’m working on (but the note type also works on its own, is lightweight, and you can create/review cards with it on all platforms). So you will be able to use cards like this with native IO soon. The note type is fully back-/forwards compatible with native IO, so you can switch over any existing notes.

I think this is completely fine to ship as part of a custom note type oriented towards power users, but I agree with @dae and would say that the note types built into Anki should encourage best card creation practices. There is a reason why the Cloze note type, which is much older, but where you could apply the same principle, does not support anything like this either. Yes, some information needs to be grouped, but if it becomes too difficult to track your answers against all the revealed information, that pretty much means that you are grouping too much information on one note.

The GIF you showcased is a great example of that, and I would strongly disagree that this is information that necessarily cannot be split up further.

Either way, this feature will be in your hands soon as part of the extended note type (and if you would like to help me beta test it once it’s ready, let me know).

3 Likes

Pleased to hear about the new add-on. Would love to give it a try.

1 Like