Emojis are not rendering in the browse window

I use a lot of emojis and especially in the deck description. In the deck view this renders correctly, see

As you can see from the image below instead of showing the emojis in the browse window we see some characters

Anki 2.1.36 (53a984ba) Python 3.8.0 Qt 5.14.2 PyQt 5.14.2
Platform: Mac 10.15.7
Flags: frz=True ao=False sv=2
Add-ons, last update check: 2020-10-06 14:57:27

no problem on my machine, Anki 2.1.36b1.

The first one looks like it’s a HTML escape rather than a literal character. Not sure about the other - is it connected to night mode or only certain characters?

Weird, I checked in another profile and there it works fine in most cases.

I don’t know if it is related to night mode but when switching between the two, I still see don’t see the emoji for the simple case.

Night mode

Day mode

Maybe the toolkit and/or font just can’t those characters properly.

Have you tried on the same version as me? See specs in the reply from me above. Works in both night/day mode.

I could not find your version in the Anki website. So I downloaded from the beta directory https://apps.ankiweb.net/downloads/beta/

Version 2.1.36 (53a984ba)
Python 3.8.0 Qt 5.14.2 PyQt 5.14.2

Same issue, there.

Thanks, though!

I would say it is an “issue” with the font. For the Multi Page Support thing, replace 🌇 with the Emoji :city_sunrise: and it will be displayed as the Emoji in the browser. The Emojis for the numbers are a different case, as the font used in the browser does not default to the macOS Emojis, but rather wants to do a keycapped 1 and fails miserably…

Just choose other Emojis, make sure to not use the HTML encoding when naming decks, and it will work quite good in most cases.

PS: yes, I am using the beta build.

1 Like