Does setting cards to go from basic to basic(reverse) affect all cards, or only one deck? How do I reverse the cards in only one deck

I want to take a deck that is already made, and simply have it show me the back of the card first. Basically reverse every card in the deck.

If I go to make the basic card type into a reverse card type, will that change all basic card types in all decks into reverse cards? Because I do not want that. I want to only change the cards in one specific deck. I haven’t tried it yet because I don’t want to attempt to change the basic card into basic reverse and risk accidentally breaking all my other decks, and I haven’t been able to find any information on whether changing basic to basic(reverse) affects all basic cards, or just the cards in one deck.

I want, for just one specific deck, to show me the back of the card first. So basically, “for every single card in this deck and only this deck, show me the back first, and test me on the front”. I need to do this in one motion, because there are almost 20,000 cards in this deck. I don’t want to create any new decks, or new cards, or anything. I just want the back of the cards in this deck to be shown first.

How do I do this? I am not intelligent, so I require step-by-step instructions on how to do this.

Thank you!

1. In the browser, click the relevant deck in the left sidebar, press Ctrl+Alt+A, then Ctrl+Shift+M. (This will only work if all notes in the deck have the same notetype.)
  2. In the dialogue, make sure “New note type” is set to “Basic”, then set “Change Front” to “Back” and “Change Back” to “Front”.

After confirming, the contents of the Front and Back fields will be swapped. Since you didn’t modify any notetype, no other cards will be affected.

2 Likes

I have the same problem here. My issue is that it removes the old cards I made the copy from. This is very frustrating because I would like to keep those. Like when you are learning a foreign language. It can be helpful to go both ways

There is a note type called “Basic (and reversed card)” exactly for this purpose. The way you change your notes to that type is exactly the same as described above.