Cloze Overlapper [Official Support Thread]

This is the new official support thread for Cloze Overlapper. The previous thread may be found here. From now on please direct all of your general support questions about the add-on here.

Note: If you’ve run into a bug, please consider filing a bug report instead. The issue tracker takes care of a lot of the troubleshooting groundwork, so it really makes it a lot easier for me to fix your issue. Should you be unfamiliar with how to file a bug report, then please check out my quick tutorial here.

If you are unable to file a bug report through the issue tracker, then please make sure to copy the bug report template below, paste it into your reply, and fill it out. This will go a long way towards me and other users being able to understand what’s wrong and help you.

In important cases you can also reach out to me directly via an email to :email: ankiglutanimate@gmail.com

Thank you!

In cases where you can’t use the official issue tracker, please copy the bug report template below into your reply and fill it out. This will go a long way towards me and other users being able to understand what’s wrong and help you. Thank you!

Problem description

Please describe the issue concisely in here. In case of an error: Walk us through the steps you took to get there. What happened? What did you expect to happen?

Checklist

Please replace the space inside the brackets with an x if the following items apply:

• I’ve restarted Anki to see if it helps
  • I’ve verified that I use the latest version of the add-on by redownloading it from AnkiWeb
  • I’ve verified that I use the latest version of Anki by checking at https://apps.ankiweb.net#download
  • I’ve tried to disable other add-ons to see if there are any interactions present
  • My issue disappears when I hold shift while starting Anki.
  • I’ve checked if anyone else reported this problem before by looking through the issue reports. I also checked to see if there is a section about known issues in the add-on description, documentation, or README.

Information about your Anki set-up

Please open Anki, go to Help → About, click on “Copy Debug Info”, and paste the result between the backticks below (if the button does not appear you are using an older version of Anki 2.1 and will need to update first):

Error message (if any)

If you’ve received an error message, please copy and paste it between the backticks below:

Hello,

In the Anki version 2.1.33 my cloze-overlapper stops working with the following error message:

> Error
> An error occurred. Please start Anki while holding down the shift key, which will temporarily disable the add-ons you have installed.
> If the issue only occurs when add-ons are enabled, please use the Tools > Add-ons menu item to disable some add-ons and restart Anki, repeating until you discover the add-on that is causing the problem.
> When you've discovered the add-on that is causing the problem, please report the issue on the add-on support site.
> Debug info:
> Anki 2.1.33 (3f403040) Python 3.8.0 Qt 5.14.2 PyQt 5.14.2
> Platform: Mac 10.15.6
> Flags: frz=True ao=True sv=1
> Add-ons, last update check: 2020-09-13 11:58:35
> Add-ons possibly involved: ⁨cloze_overlapper⁩
> 
> Caught exception:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "aqt/webview.py", line 493, in handler
>   File "aqt/editor.py", line 481, in <lambda>
>   File "/Users/kaifengliang/Library/Application Support/Anki2/addons21/cloze_overlapper/editor.py", line 154, in <lambda>
>     editor.saveNow(lambda: callback(editor, *args, **kwargs))
>   File "/Users/kaifengliang/Library/Application Support/Anki2/addons21/cloze_overlapper/editor.py", line 283, in onOlClozeButton
>     return onFieldReady()
>   File "/Users/kaifengliang/Library/Application Support/Anki2/addons21/cloze_overlapper/editor.py", line 270, in onFieldReady
>     overlapper.add()
>   File "/Users/kaifengliang/Library/Application Support/Anki2/addons21/cloze_overlapper/overlapper.py", line 117, in add
>     self.updateNote(fields, full, setopts, custom)
>   File "/Users/kaifengliang/Library/Application Support/Anki2/addons21/cloze_overlapper/overlapper.py", line 203, in updateNote
>     note.flush()
>   File "anki/notes.py", line 67, in flush
> AssertionError

With the guidance on another thread I have tried to install the last stable version of Anki 2.1.26, but with no luck as the add-on now displays “no configuration is found” and is disabled.

I would really appreciate your help!

Thank you,

1 Like

Problem description

*I downloaded cloze overlapped from the patreon. The download went fine, and I can use cloze overlap when I am adding cards. However, when I try to change settings (such as gradual up/down), I get the error message bellow. After using cloze overlapped for a day, my anki would no longer sync with AnkiWeb, would take forever to open, and would pause so I couldn’t do anything. I have a MacBook pro, 2015. I would have to force quit anki multiple times to get it to work. I tried deleting the ad-on, and I still had the problem (can’t sync, anki working funky). I ended up deleting anki and all of its files and re-downloading anki. I tried downloading the cloze overlap ad on again, and am running into the same problems. I don’t have any issues with the ad-ons I am using. I am using anki 2.1.26 like is suggested on patreon. *

Checklist

Please replace the space inside the brackets with an x if the following items apply:

• [x ] I’ve restarted Anki to see if it helps
  • [x ] I’ve verified that I use the latest version of the add-on by redownloading it from AnkiWeb
  • [x ] I’ve verified that I use the latest version of Anki by checking at https://apps.ankiweb.net#download
  • [x] I’ve tried to disable other add-ons to see if there are any interactions present
  • [x ] My issue disappears when I hold shift while starting Anki.
  • [ ] I’ve checked if anyone else reported this problem before by looking through the issue reports. I also checked to see if there is a section about known issues in the add-on description, documentation, or README.

Information about your Anki set-up

Please open Anki, go to Help → About, click on “Copy Debug Info”, and paste the result between the backticks below (if the button does not appear you are using an older version of Anki 2.1 and will need to update first):

Debug Info:

Anki 2.1.26 (70784154) Python 3.8.0 Qt 5.13.1 PyQt 5.14.1
    Platform: Mac 10.15.6
    Flags: frz=True ao=False sv=1
    Add-ons, last update check: 2020-09-13 01:41:13

===Add-ons (active)===
    (add-on provided name [Add-on folder, installed at, version, is config changed])
    Cloze Overlapper ['cloze_overlapper', 2019-02-01T06:37, 'None', '']

===IDs of active AnkiWeb add-ons===

===Add-ons (inactive)===
    (add-on provided name [Add-on folder, installed at, version, is config changed])
    Anki Zoom ['538879081', 2020-04-03T19:20, 'v1.1.3', mod]
    BetterTags ['bettertags', 2020-04-28T10:40, 'None', '']
    Enhance main window ['877182321', 2020-05-03T11:58, 'None', mod]
    Image Occlusion Enhanced for Anki 21 alpha ['1374772155', 2020-04-27T21:21, 'None', '']
    Large and Colorful Buttons ['1829090218', 2018-10-02T12:41, 'None', '']
    Pop-up Dictionary beta ['153625306', 2019-03-23T12:32, 'None', '']
    Progress Bar ['2091361802', 2017-08-29T14:00, 'None', '']
    Puppy Reinforcement ['1722658993', 2020-03-02T14:23, 'None', '']
    Review Heatmap ['review_heatmap', 2020-04-30T08:23, 'None', '']
    Speed Focus Mode auto-alert auto-reveal auto-fail ['1046608507', 2019-06-02T04:11, 'None', '']

Error
An error occurred. Please start Anki while holding down the shift key, which will temporarily disable the add-ons you have installed.
If the issue only occurs when add-ons are enabled, please use the Tools > Add-ons menu item to disable some add-ons and restart Anki, repeating until you discover the add-on that is causing the problem.
When you've discovered the add-on that is causing the problem, please report the issue on the add-on support site.
Debug info:
Anki 2.1.26 (70784154) Python 3.8.0 Qt 5.13.1 PyQt 5.14.1
Platform: Mac 10.15.6
Flags: frz=True ao=True sv=1
Add-ons, last update check: 2020-09-13 01:41:13
Add-ons possibly involved: ⁨Cloze Overlapper⁩

Caught exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/zeynepeguven/Library/Application Support/Anki2/addons21/cloze_overlapper/gui/options_global.py", line 107, in onAccept
    config.save(reset=reset_req)
  File "/Users/zeynepeguven/Library/Application Support/Anki2/addons21/cloze_overlapper/libaddon/anki/configmanager.py", line 219, in save
    saver(self._config[name])
  File "/Users/zeynepeguven/Library/Application Support/Anki2/addons21/cloze_overlapper/libaddon/anki/configmanager.py", line 460, in _saveSynced
    self._getStorageObj("synced")[self._conf_key] = config
  File "anki/config.py", line 60, in __setitem__
  File "anki/config.py", line 36, in set
  File "anki/rsbackend.py", line 591, in set_config_json
orjson.JSONEncodeError: Type is not JSON serializable: WrappedDict

Error message (if any)

If you’ve received an error message, please copy and paste it between the backticks below:

1 Like

Hi, I’m new using the CO add-on and I was trying to customize it so I can type the answer for the cloze deletions. I’ve already read the thread on GitHub (this one: Ability To Type in Cloze · Issue #1 · glutanimate/cloze-overlapper · GitHub) but the add-on they mention in one of the last answers is not working anymore.
I tried to modificate the front template and the back template.
These are my modifications on the front template

And on the back template

These modifications work fine for cloze-ol 1 cards.
These cards look like this in the front

and like this in the back
Although I will certainly prefer to not have all those typing boxes (for the aesthetics, mainly), I don’t mind them like that.

The problem comes when cloze-ol 2, 3, 4,… and 21 cards come to play.
This is the front of a cloze-ol 3 card

(The message “Por favor, ejecuta Herramientas>Tarjetas vacías” means “Please, execute Tools>Empty cards”) and when I execute the Empty cards a message saying that “There are no empty cards” appears.
Andthe back of a cloze-ol 3 looks just fine (I cannot upload a pic beacuse I’m a new user and it only allows me to upload up to 5 pics)

I don’t know if someone has already solved this or can help me. I know barely anything about coding, so I don’t know if there is a way to tell Anki to show me as many typing boxes as cloze deletions are in each card. Or at least, that the cloze-ol 2 and forward cards show up just like the cloze-ol 1 cards.

Thank you in advance to everyone :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hi, I find that cloze overlapper cards have text that is way too wide on iPhone, while normal cloze deletions seem to rescale properly. I’ve tried changing the mobile font size in CSS, but the issue persists.

Thanks

How do I align equations using the cloze overlapper add-on?

When I try to insert the MathJax code below, cloze overlapper won’t convert it to MathJax?

[

\begin{align}

f’(x)&=\lim_{h\to0}\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h} \

&=\lim_{h\to0}\frac{c-c}{h} \

&=\lim_{h\to0}0 \

&=0

\end{align}

]

Any plans to update this to the >/= 23.10Qt6?

Yes, the next version of CO will be compatible with 23.10+.

1 Like

Any idea on the estimate on when you will have this update out?
What about:
Pop up dictionary
Extended Card Stats During Review

Hello Glutanimate!

I am using a Macbook with MacOs:
Sonoma 14.2

My Anki version is:
Version ⁨23.10.1 (fac9e0ee)⁩
Python 3.9.15 Qt 6.5.3 PyQt 6.5.3

I have attempted to use this version of Cloze Overlapper for Anki 2.1:
https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/109531687

When restarting Anki, I am getting this window/message:

I have clicked the blue Botton “check for Updates”
… but no updates were found.

QUESTION:
Should I try to install another version of this add-on Cloze Overlapper? Do you have an alternative link/url to the appropriate version?
In theory, this seem like a very useful add-on but I have not been able to use it due to the above specified reason.
Could you please tell me what would be your advise?

Thank you very much.

Ted.

PD: here is the Debug Info:

Debug info:

Anki 23.10.1 (fac9e0ee) Python 3.9.15 Qt 6.5.3 PyQt 6.5.3
Platform: macOS-14.2-arm64-arm-64bit
Flags: frz=True ao=True sv=3
Add-ons, last update check: 2023-12-20 18:47:30

When loading Cloze Overlapper for Anki 21:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “aqt.addons”, line 245, in loadAddons
File “/Users/tperez/Library/Application Support/Anki2/addons21/109531687/init.py”, line 123, in
initializeAddon()
File “/Users/tperez/Library/Application Support/Anki2/addons21/109531687/init.py”, line 105, in initializeAddon
from .gui.options_global import initializeOptions
File “/Users/tperez/Library/Application Support/Anki2/addons21/109531687/gui/options_global.py”, line 49, in
from .forms import settings_global
File “/Users/tperez/Library/Application Support/Anki2/addons21/109531687/gui/forms/init.py”, line 41, in
from .anki21 import * # noqa: F401
File “/Users/tperez/Library/Application Support/Anki2/addons21/109531687/gui/forms/anki21/init.py”, line 21, in
from . import settings_global
File “/Users/tperez/Library/Application Support/Anki2/addons21/109531687/gui/forms/anki21/settings_global.py”, line 11, in
from PyQt5 import QtCore, QtGui, QtWidgets
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘PyQt5’

@DoctorToBeIn23 updates for Cloze Overlapper and Pop-up Dictionary are now out on Patreon.

Should have an AnkiWeb update out for Extended Card Stats During Review later this month.

@ted thanks for the detailed report! The version you installed is an unofficial build, I’m afraid. You can get the latest official build on my Patreon. It works on Anki 23.10 (last tested on 23.12.1).

I see/discover now that there is a monthly subscription to access the version you have indicated. Thank you.

FWIW, you can also just subscribe for one month to download the current version and then freely decide whether or not you want to stay subbed for future updates and other add-ons.