Cloze doesn't work in multiple fields after the last update

I’ve prepared a note that had one field for translation, one for sound and 10 fields for clozes. Depending on the number of used cloze fields, it generated flashcards that used the same sound file and the same translation, but each one had cloze in a different place in the sentence. It was extremely useful for sentences with a lot of unknown words.

Currently, such a solution is impossible and Anki doesn’t allow me to add clozes (it didn’t display an icon for cloze and don’t allow me to enter it manually). I had to copy-paste the name of the sound file and the translation each time I generate a cloze card for a word in the sentence. It is annoying and time-consuming.

I’m not sure if I explained my problem clear enough. [let say it is the sentence for an example ;)]
TRANSLATION: Nie wiem czy wyłumaczyłem mój problem dość jasno
SOUND: sound.mp3
TEXT 1: I’m not […] if I explained my problem clear enough
TEXT 2: I’m not sure if I […] my problem clear enough
TEXT 3:I’m not sure if I explained my […] clear enough

This would generate automatically following cloze cards:
1)
I’m not […] if I explained my problem clear enough
sound.mp3
Nie wiem czy wyłumaczyłem mój problem dość jasno

I’m not sure if I […] my problem clear enough
sound.mp3

I’m not sure if I explained my […] clear enough
sound.mp3

Now I have to create them manually to achieve the same effect. Perhaps it will be possible to create multiple cloze cards again in the future? I would be very grateful for that!

I believe multiple cloze fields were never officially supported, but were only an implementation detail. However, for your use case, the multiple clozes per field Anki supports are much more appropriate anyway. See the official docs: Adding/Editing - Anki Manual

3 Likes

Thank you very much! This solves my problem completely :slight_smile:

1 Like

Multiple fields should still work AFAIAA (though they are a niche feature). Maybe the issue here was that the notetype wasn’t derived from a Cloze one.

No, it was working previously, so most probably was derived from a cloze card. Now I understand the mechanics of it better. It seems that the abovementioned solution will be sufficient. I can even use pictures instead of words as hints.