Cloze deletion can only be used in fields which use the 'cloze:' filter

Hi everyone!

I’ve been trying to create my study deck with cloze deletion like I’ve done in the past but for some reason, each time I try to create one (before I click add), I keep getting the message, “Cloze deletion can only be used in fields which use the ‘cloze:’ filter. This is typically the first field.”. I don’t understand what they mean and I’ve tried searching and watching a step by step ‘how to create a cloze deletion’ but each time, for me, I’d get that message and I can’t proceed to making my card. My anki is Version ⁨2.1.49 (dc80804a)⁩ on a mac

Any help would be much appreciated!

1 Like

Click “Cards…” to see the card templates. The front template should contain {{cloze:Text}}, but in your case it’s probably only {{Text}}. If you click “Save”, a similar error message should appear.
The cloze: is required to handle the cloze text correctly and replace {{c1::mangoes}} with [...] on the front and mangoes on the back.

4 Likes

Oh my gosh thank you so much! I’ve been back and forth with this issue since yesterday and it really really frustrated me! It’s worked and I honestly can’t thank you enough. Have a great rest of your day!

1 Like

Hello, would you please help me? I looked for what you mentioned and I don’t see it. This is what I find when I click on Cards and select front template:

{{#Title}}
{{Title}}
{{/Title}}
{{cloze:Text1}} {{cloze:Text2}} {{cloze:Text3}} {{cloze:Text4}} {{cloze:Text5}} {{cloze:Text6}} {{cloze:Text7}} {{cloze:Text8}} {{cloze:Text9}} {{cloze:Text10}} {{cloze:Text11}} {{cloze:Text12}} {{cloze:Text13}} {{cloze:Text14}} {{cloze:Text15}} {{cloze:Text16}} {{cloze:Text17}} {{cloze:Text18}} {{cloze:Text19}} {{cloze:Text20}} {{cloze:Full}}
[...]
{{Original}}

Maybe you put the cloze in the Title or Original fields, instead of one of the text fields.