Cards created in desktop have whiteout text on AnkiMobile

Hello, I hope someone can help me with this problem.

I’ve made a deck using the Anki app on the desktop. I then synced it to AnkiWeb. Then I synced to AnkiMobile on my iPhone.

When I run the deck on my iphone created on the desktop, the last half of the text in the answer card is whited out - it’s as if the text color is white, and the background color is also white.

I can edit the cards on the iPhone by typing over the text that is whited out. Now it appears as it should: black text on white background. I synced the changes back to Ankiweb, then synced the desktop, then synced back down to the iPhone to make sure that the changes from the iPhone remain intact. So far so good.

This is a huge problem, a show-stopper for me: It’s unacceptable that I have to edit EVERY SINGLE CARD that I create on the desktop, after I spend so much time creating the cards there. Creating them on the iPhone is not acceptable either. For me, the whole point of this platform is to have the ability to create decks on the desktop, then use/edit them on the iPhone.

On top of that, the desktop app is very clunky to use. I’m willing to put up with it if someone can please help me with making sure the text entered on the desktop appears correctly on the iPhone.

One thing I was doing was copy/paste from Google Sheets into Anki Desktop for half of the answer text. Is that the cause? Can I not paste content into a card, and have to enter everything manually? That would be another show-stopper for me.

My desktop OS is Mojave (10.14.5), the Anki Desktop app is ver 2.1.54 (b6a7760c)⁩; and AnkiMobile is ver 2.0.87 (20087.1)

Thank you VERY MUCH for any help you might be able to give me!

On top of that, the desktop app is very clunky to use. I’m willing to put up with it if someone can please help me with making sure the text entered on the desktop appears correctly on the iPhone.

Noticed that Mojave version is a intel based MacBook (last version for some models), could you check if you selected the right 2.1.54 version
yours should be these versions displayed below

Mac-apple is for M1

Hi NameLessGo,

Thank you so much for the response, I appreciate any help!

I mentioned in the original post the following versions…
Desktop OS: Mojave (10.14.5)
Anki Desktop app: 2.1.54 (b6a7760c)⁩
AnkiMobile app: 2.0.87 (20087.1)

So yes, I believe the desktop version of Anki is as you suggest. Thank you so much for any more help you might be able to provide!

If you set the computer version to the dark theme, you’ll see that the same issue exists there as well. You are probably copying+pasting text from a source that sets a white background, and in night mode the default text color is white, which makes the text impossible to read. If you enable the ‘paste strips formatting’ option in the preferences, text you paste should no longer force a specific background. For the existing cards, if you select the text, you can use the ‘remove formatting’ eraser button to clear the background color.

Awesome! Thank you dae.

That was it - I was pasting from Google Sheets; I think I mentioned that in the original post.

So going to dark mode on the desktop allowed me to see the highlighted text in Anki. I changed “Paste strips formatting” in preferences. For the existing cards, I couldn’t get the format eraser to work.So I just pasted the text back in from GoogleSheets, and it worked like a charm.

Thank you Thank you!

Glad to hear that resolved things! For what it’s worth, remove formatting correctly handles this case in the upcoming 2.1.55 release.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.