[Bug] Sync resetting new card count

Hello! For some reason my new card count (blue number) is getting reset back to the daily cap when I sync. The issue is only present with a normal sync; full sync works as expected.

This is the number I’m referring to:

Steps to reproduce:

  1. Start with two Windows 10 PCs with identical Anki 2.1.22 installs
  2. Be done or part way through reviews (such that the blue number is lower than the max)
  3. Do a full sync to ensure all counts are matching between computers
    Note: If you then do a normal sync at this point, the bug will not occur. The normal sync has to include a change for the bug to occur.
  4. Make a change on computer A. This could be anything from reviewing a card to simply changing your current deck.
  5. Do a normal sync on computer A (in order to upload your change)
  6. Go to computer B and do a normal sync (in order to download the change)
    Note: At this point, computer A still has the expected count, while computer B now has its new card count reset to the daily cap.

Here is a brief video demonstrating the issue: https://youtu.be/-xhT9t0Bx6Q

Things I’ve tried:

  • Restarting PCs, etc.
  • Checking the database
  • Disabling Morphman (an addon which has features involving learning / adding new cards)

Things I can’t try :slightly_frowning_face::

  • Updating Anki (unfortunately one of my most important addons, MIA Japanese, only updates every 6 months. It currently only supports 2.1.22)

When did the issue begin:

  • I’ve been just been working around it for a couple weeks
  • Perhaps it might have started around the DST change on Nov 1st? I have my next day set to start at 4AM in Anki’s settings. Since Nov 1st I’ve had a bug where the next day’s reviews come in an hour early, at 3AM, while everything else waits until 4AM
  • Since a few weeks before the issue began, I haven’t been doing reviews on AnkiDroid. However, in exception, there was one day around the time the issue started where I did a couple reviews on it. I vaguely recall a bug occurring where the new count in AnkiDroid wasn’t correct.

Here are my addons. A lot of them are just UI tweaks:

I would be very grateful if anyone is willing to provide some insight into this!
Thanks :^)

The same (or something similar) is happening to me but with Anki desktop v2.1.42 (on a Mac) and AnkiDroid v2.14.6. It doesn’t happen always and I can’t really tell what are the steps to reproduce but I think it’s happening whenever one of the apps is set to reset new cards.

For example, Anki is set to reset at 4am and AnkiDroid at 12pm, so in the morning I get 12 new cards on Anki (I have new cards/day set to 12) and if I finish them and open AnkiDroid I get 12 more there. Then after 12pm the same happens again (so instead of 12 new cards per day or even 24, I get 48!).

These screenshots were taken after synchronizing both apps (Mac and Android). I’ve already finished going through my new cards on Anki but AnkiDroid is showing I have 12 more new cards to see.

If the two clients have different ideas of which day you’re on, you’ll end up with the daily counts being reset, as they think a day has rolled over. They shouldn’t disagree though. Please force a full upload in one and download in the other, and confirm the daily rollover matches after that.