Biblical Hebrew, A Basic Introduction to, by Jo Ann Hackett 950+ cards

Chapters 1-13 are reasonably polished and this deck will be updated until I have have completed the textbook at the end of semester two (November).

Biblical Hebrew deck with ‘Living’ elements - picture and audio

Pronunciation is modern hebrew, varying slightly from Jo Ann Hackett in a few places:

Hireq is pronounced [i], Qibbuts is pronounced [u] - the same as shureq, Waw diphthongs are ignored; Tsere and tsere-yod are pronounced [ε] - the same as seghol vowels (not consistent - my main audio is from Allen Ross which is seemingly random)

tagging: base category is vocab words and don’t have a ‘heb’ tag. Other or misc words need a category_subcategory tag, such as heb_grammar.

Simple tags: noun, adjective, noun_masculine, conjunction, adjective, pronoun, pronoun_personal

Audio tagging: source is noted, and audio_wr implies that I believe the audio isn’t perfect, but is useful enough, I scale from audio_wr_style - where stylistically isn’t perfect, such as /r/ or /ɹ/ for a ‘resh’ to audio_wr_minor where it is more objectively wrong, such as incorrect syllabification/ accentuation.

Transliterations are done very carefully. Sort field is set to the ‘simple transliteration’ to play nicely with both searching and alphabetical order.

Simple transliteration is latin only characters, at the cost of accuracy. Vowels suffer the most and syllibication is ignored.

Vowels: Sheva is usually left untransliterated. hireq uses “i”, qamats segol uses ‘a’; qamats qatan uses ‘o’.

Consonants: Glottal stops are usually ignored except where they are easily distinguished to an English speaker: between two vowel sounds, and as the last sound in a word.

As Anki doesn’t dislpay html in sort field, I’ve elected for baged kaphet letters to maintain their most useful transliteration, such as ‘b̲’ for vet [v] with a dagesh forte. However since the display field is html, you will still find formatted underlines on applicable characters, such as k̲ for ‘ḵaph’. Gutturals such as kh may be used. (I’m still debating this, with ‘ḵ’ it makes sense to use underlined k̲ since some use ‘kh’ and some use ‘ch’. With shem it’s less clear, I like to favour simplicity and use ‘s’ for both forms of ‘sin’, with ‘shin’, s̲ being underlined, but as an english speaker it’s very easy to default to typing “shem” et.al. I haven’t yet encountered any technical reason to keep this simpler.) BeGeD KaFeT letters without a change in pronunciation are usually marked with a Macron Below, but not a high priority.

‘tet’ is marked with a dot below, ṭ, and simply bolded for simple transliteration (unbolded and with a macron below is ṯaf)

‘kof’ or ‘qof’ is transliterated as “q” for historical/phonenian root/convenience.

‘jod’ or ‘yodh’ is transliterated as “j” for international convenience; obvious to most students since hebrew doesn’t have any “jey” sound.

Acknowledgements:

audio with the tag audio-author are by me, Joshua, and are published under a CC0 license (public domain): you may use for any purpose, including commercial, without permission or acknowledgement.

audio cards with the audio-ross tag are from Allen Ross BIblical Hebrew. Contact the source for feedback or takedown notices. You can find the shared deck I took here: Shared deck: Ross Biblical Hebrew (w/ audio) - AnkiWeb

picture cards with the picture-GCTS tag are from the decks by Quizlet user GCTS-Hebrew, he has some Flickr attribution for his images and I have tried to maintain those where possible. The rest of the images appear to be shared publically by him:

pictures will generally have a link toward where they were obtained. Please contact the original author if you believe your rights have been violated, and when I see that has been taken down I will take action.

Copyright © Joshua Miller 2020,
You may edit, reuse, and redistribute as you wish according to it’s license: Creative Commons, Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International, full terms of the license can be found here, https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0
If you are an intellectual property holder and believe your rights have been violated, please see email me at JoshuaMiller (at) OzMillers (dot) com , providing a with a link to the offending content, and a link to your site, book or other original content that the material has been taken from. If you are writing on behalf of another, you must have the authority to act on their behalf.

10minutes later, this isn’t editable
https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1399237186

edit: I have some random cards with tag heb-stellenbosch which I forgot about. Highly recommended deck, but haven’t integrated them at all well yet.

1 Like

Having multiple places to write a description spells hell for me, as I rewrite and can’t seem to unify all information, so here’s another dump :smiley:

Key Features:

• Every vocab word from Hackett included
  • Picture → Hebrew and Hebrew → Picture cards
  • Audio recordings - mostly by Allen Ross from his grammar
  • Irregular forms quizzed - mostly Heb. F.Sg nouns prompting you to
    recall their gender and M.Pl nouns which take Fem. endings asking for
  • “Fresch updates” - all lexical form verbs have their glosses changed
    to match Qal Suffix meaning - he… {en. Simple Past}d. Some semicolon
    and comma changes.

So to add to that, I would like to request your permission to utilise
all the changes you make to Hackett’s glosses on your vocab sheets,
such as specifying ambiguous English glosses, I can attribute you /
BCSA appropriately.

Other features:

• Some of my own audio recordings
  • Transliteration for easy sorting and searching
  • Extensive tagging system for splitting up deck, working on neglected
    areas
  • Prompts to practice paradigms
  • Prompts to provide multiple meanings for words and declensions that
    require (i.e. “parse both options for tiśmornah”, or ‘et/et-’)

Updated to have polished cards for chapters 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and some of 18, for the total of 392 audio cards, 160 picture cards: 456 total cards (220 notes).

This is the equivalent of 8 weeks of a two-semester unit.

The general system is that all vocab I should know already are in the deck:subdeck,
Hebrew::A Basic Introduction to Biblical Hebrew by Jo Ann Hackett::A Basic Introduction to Biblical Hebrew by Jo Ann Hackett ,
and cards which are ready (audio if available, pictures mostly, card type set) are placed in,
JAC:vocab-hackett-fut-chs.AB-XY-transliterated , where the chapter numbers are updated to where I am up to in course progression. When I haven’t finished a chapter, you will see that chapter number in deck names twice.

Updated, 1399237186 – same link.

Major change: all picture cards now have English invisible by default, with a HTML link to give you a gloss. I recommend trying to learn the picture by imagining the meaning of the Hebrew words without checking the English, and after a week or so, check the English so often for niche uses of the same word

?? is WIP notes, or duplicate notes I intend to use for their audio or picture files.

Updated - same link.

• Completed ch18, some of 19
  • Fixed a few cards that asked for a gender without showing you the irregular form
  • Improved a bunch of bad pictures

Upcoming update:

• Niphal verbs and prompts showing the root verb. (Need to consider users of Hackett and how to make sure early chapters only include Qal and yet the cards are still useful for Hebrew veterans).
  • Major audio update in need - Allen Ross is starting to show it’s limits for my purposes. I’ll see if I can rip anything off the Hackett CD-ROM, otherwise I’ll have to record myself (I’ve only found one other decent set of recordings, and they have some funky pronunciation scheme, and the quality is hardly better than what I can do).

major update:

• audio
  • roots (wip)
  • additional post-grammar vocabulary

I’m having some difficulty uploading it however.

New link: Click to download from Ankiweb (or view on-site preview).
https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1662721723

06/09 1.0.1 update:

• Ch.s 29-30: revised some hastily made cards of lexemes appearing in multiple stems.
  • Added Polel/Polal to the multi-stem cards.
  • Added new card type for Picture Hebrew cards (Card:2 en->Heb) and hid the English by default (click to see).
  • Fixed ankiweb sync issue.
  • Started process of adding vowelless (unpointed) hebrew text to each card for easily searching and previewing - to mostly replace the simple-transliteration functionality

09/08 update:
added more week 7-8 vocab (Jonah 1-4)

@dhmoura

Thanks for your comment, its encouraging to hear someone is making use of this deck :slight_smile:

I will check it out when I get the chance - a problem that I probably wouldnt have found since by the time I added the English hyperlink I already knew early Hackett really well

If I havent got back to you in a few days, feel free to make another comment to remind me.

Edit: This failed to send via email, I believe it’s because @dhmoura is a new account and his message got spamfiltered. I can provide the quoted message, however I shouldn’t until I get confirmation he didn’t intentionally delete the reply.

1 Like

Sorry mate, I actually found out that I was using the wrong application and that your deck does indeed work perfectly (the problem was on my end). This has been such a major help and I’ve already recommended it to the rest of my cohort studying Hebrew!

ah, excellent - yes a common issue with the “ankiverse” outside of
official apps and website. The other thing to check for is that fonts
are working correctly.

I am glad you are finding it helpful. To alert me of any errors found,
please feel free to point your cohort here, or to my email which is on
the shared deck page.

If anyone is keen to review ahead in the later chapters, in “Hebrew B”
as it was in my class – I started experimenting with more “Note Types”
and I haven’t ever really decided if any of these features are at all
useful. Probably starts kicking up with lexemes you first learn as
Niphals and Hiphils, and at the start of weak verbs is as complex as it
gets.

You’re also welcome to make edits / additions to content and share them
individually. I will be unlikely to be making significant updates
outside of “maintenance”.

Regards,
Joshua

blocked.gif

New! GitLab for collaboratively improving the deck, an issue tracker and a more permanent place for version history.

Coming soon, instructions on how to contribute.

Git / GitLab:
https://gitlab.com/comprehensible-bible/Hebrew-anki

GitLab is now public – in early stages of development.