Anyone using "Searching, PDF Reading & Note-Taking in Add Dialog"

:wave: Is anyone using Searching, PDF Reading & Note-Taking in Add Dialog - AnkiWeb successfully for incremental reading? I installed the add-on but it doesn’t appear to work properly. Opening PDFs takes a really long time. Even the simplest PDF with just a few pages can take nearly a minute to open. The rest of the PDFs I tried were still not loaded and displayed after 30 minutes so I just quit Anki.

I’m curious if anyone else has had any luck with it.

working fine here on both:

Windows 10 (very outdated)
Version ⁨2.1.57 (6b7d372c)⁩
Python 3.9.15 Qt 5.15.2 PyQt 5.15.5
+
M1 Qt6 version

Someone oppened an issue similiar to what you described

the user was using Qt6, so maybe it is a Qt related problem, try using Qt5 and see if the issue persists

FYI, that’s my bug report at GitHub.

I experimented a bit and found that the performance is acceptable when using 2.1.54 Qt6 but the problem appears when going above that. I will try the Qt5 version and see if I have any luck.

Have you found the add-on useful? Any problems that I should look out for? It looks incredibly useful, but also quite complex. I want to make sure I’m investing my time wisely before I get too far into using it. There doesn’t seem to be much information online from other users other than the AnKing video that gives a brief overview.

Honestly, i just use one fuction of the addon, which is the copy and paste directly to a field, it prevents line breaks (lines of text that looks “cropped”)

The pdf addon is powerful maybe later with time and patience will try to learn how to properly use it

Problem with the addon, (bug) change size partitioning (L|R) bug · Issue #350 · fonol/anki-search-inside-add-card · GitHub