Ankiweb and AnkiDesktop decks differ and can't be merged

Hello, I have a few anki decks my friend shared with me which I saved on my anki desktop. I have also created my own decks on anki web. Whenever I try to open anki desktop,I get an error message that says my ankiweb and anki desktop differ in such a way that they can’t be merged and that I need to overwrite the decks on one side to the other. I don’t want to lose any of the decks. Is there any way around this? Thank you!!

Export your collection in anki desktop to a apkg file, synchronize anki desktop with ankiweb (keeping your ankiweb collection) and import your colpkg file again.

2 Likes

Doesn’t it make more sense to export a apkg file instead, since importing a colpkg file will replace the whole collection?

The manual has a section about this by the way: Syncing with AnkiWeb - Anki Manual

4 Likes

Yes, sorry for the confusion. Edited

Since a recent update, I have a simpler problem with the same message “Anki…decks … can’t be merged”.

I have just one deck, which I use on two android devices one windows device. Never had any problems synching until the last day or so. Now I sometimes (but not always) get the message of the thread title, and have to think about which to keep. Annoying but not life-threatening.

I’d be grateful for advice on how to avoid this.
David

PS That was my first post to this forum, so I should add that I really appreciate having Anki as a well-thought-out learning tool. Thank you to the developers!

1 Like

Some changes (like modifying the fields of a notetype) just can’t be merged. See the manual linked above for more details. To avoid merge conflicts, make sure to sync before switching devices, or more practically, every time you finish an Anki session.

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply, I’ll look at that section of the manual.

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate it.