Anki wants me to Update but won't stop syncing so I can't open it

I am using Anki on a Windows 10 laptop. I don’t use it on any other device. If I try to open Anki using the desktop App I get an Update message, But I can’t click on anything in this message, because simultaneously a Syncing message appears, and endless syncing starts, so that effectively Anki is frozen. The only way I can escape is to restart the computer. I have had the syncing problem for a while, and have been working around it by holding down the Shift key while opening the app. But this workaround no longer works.
I am not very tech savvy, so would be grateful for an easily understood solution. Thank you.

Hellou
you could try download the latest version (2.1.44), stable version (2.1.40) or any older version ( * Older versions and checksums) on the https://apps.ankiweb.net to work around this issue, the installer will delete your current version (maintaining your addons,decks, profile) and install a new one

2 Likes

Thank you. I will try that.

Thank you again. I followed your suggestion, and Anki opened perfectly, without my having to hold down the shift key. Fingers crossed this continues! I am most grateful.

1 Like