Anki stuck on processing

I recently updated my Anki to the latest version (Qt6) but ever since I get the “processing” dialog open persistently and the program getting stuck on it, forcing me to end task and reopen , only for it to happen again almost immediately after starting to edit cards. I’ve tried starting the program with the shift key held down to disable add-ons, but it does not fix the problem.

Can anyone perhaps help me? Thanks.

2 Likes

Try Troubleshooting - Anki Manual, but do you have cards being synced?

It should go away once it finishes syncing all the cards

Edit:
Had this problem with bad connection

1 Like

There have been a few folks reporting various issues with persistent/recurring “Processing” pop-ups lately, but it’s hard to tell whether something suggested was a fix for them, or they just wandered off.

After you’ve run through the Troubleshooting already suggested, maybe take a look at these?

1 Like

Wanted to weigh in here and report that two users of the chinese support addon both are having this issue which prompted me to take a look, see:

Kind of funny that the reason is because the addon is somewhat slow. There is an interesting race condition in the ProgressManager implementation where _levels is decremented to 0 before the window is actually closed. Since everything runs on the main loop you would expect this to be fine, but we are too smart for our own good:

anki/qt/aqt/progress.py at main · ankitects/anki (github.com)

I have opened a PR to fix this here: fix progress manager window race condition by kieranlblack · Pull Request #3029 · ankitects/anki (github.com)

3 Likes

I observe similar stuff.

I open Anki, edit a card here and there, a Window pops up and says “Processing”.
That’s it. I have to kill the process and restart Anki. Sometimes this happens every 5-10 minutes, which is pretty annoying.

I have no add-ons installed and Anki runs on a new ThinkPad.

Anki 23.12.1 (1a1d4d54)
Python 3.9.15 Qt 6.6.1 PyQt 6.6.1
Platform: Windows-10-10.0.22631

And yes, I have followed Troubleshooting - Anki Manual.
My video driver is set to software (never had any issues with missing UI elements).
Resetting window sizes seems to help a bit but still does not prevent an eventual stall.

Searching the forums (this post) have led me to the conclusion that I’m not the only one observing this behaviour. I’m happy to provide log files and such …

1 Like

The fix mentioned above is available in the latest beta. Please try the beta and let us know if it helps.

1 Like

Will try the beta Damian mentions, but in the meantime I wanted to provide some more context just in case it helps with debugging this better.

The chances of getting that “processing” bar that hangs is either exclusive to, or at least far more likely when, editing from the browser, rather than from the “add card” menu.

For me, an almost ‘guaranteed’ way to get it to happen ‘quickly’ is to start editing a card in the ‘browser’, which involves lots of old-skool latex (i.e. the [$] [/$] kind, not mathjax), and start fixing the latex / introducing latex errors and correcting them, WITH the preview window open.

I’ve noticed that closing the preview window helps mitigate this. However, this is not the only case where I’ve noticed this (what prompted me to come to the forum and write this was an instance where I was just editing normal non-latex text in the browser window, with no preview window open).

PS. (Anki version 23.12.1 / Qt6; Linux Mint 21.2; python 3.10.12; )

1 Like

Will do and test in the upcoming days …

1 Like

EXCACTLY I AM FACING THIS ISSUE FROM SO LONG!
I HAVE NOT GOT ANY FIX TO THIS

i am forced to use older version due to this bug.

I’ve had zero (!) occurences since using this version. Kudos to the developers.

1 Like

Which versions of Anki are known to have this problem ?

Based on the timing and details of the folks who have reported it, I’d say it’s limited to 23.12 and 23.12.1.