Anki Startup error - can't access current collection

I have both ankidroid and Anki windows desktop, but this error just started happening today. No new add-ons, but one did update yesterday. Starting without add-ons (shift+click) does not fix the issue.

When I boot up anki I get this error:

I tried restarting and booting in “safe” mode (shift+click anki) but neither helped. When I try to reload a backup collection I get this error (sorry I’m a new user so I can’t post more than 1 image):

“Unable to move existing file to trash - please try restarting your computer.”

If I try opening my user profile without opening an old collection I get this error:

Anki was unable to open your collection file. If problems persist after restarting your computer, please use the Open Backup button in the profile manager.
Debug info:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “aqt\”, line 469, in loadCollection
File “aqt\”, line 505, in _loadCollection
File “aqt\”, line 510, in reopen
File “lib\site-packages\anki\”, line 49, in Collection
File “lib\site-packages\anki\”, line 264, in open_collection
File “lib\site-packages\anki\”, line 257, in _run_command
anki.rsbackend.StringError: CollectionAlreadyOpen

Perhaps relevant, but my last backup is from August 17th. Before this date I had 1+ backups generated everyday. Not really sure what happened that caused them to stop creating backups, but maybe it’s related.

At a complete loss for what happened. I use anki every day and have never run into any problems.

Edit and solution: Before even making the post I decided to look in my recycle bin since one of the debuggers mentioned I had to remove something from my trash. That was the issue. Looks like when I updated either load balancer, special fields, or the amboss add-on one of those also created the above issues. When I restored the files from my trash and replaced the new files with these, anki works fine again. Perhaps anki’s updating add-ons feature erroneously removed something it shouldn’t once these add-ons were updated, not really sure what caused the problem. But for posterity, this is what fixed it. As well mentioned below, load balancer was the culprit, and in this case updating to the newest version of Anki fixed the error. However, if for some reason you don’t want the newest version, restoring add-ons to the older versions should fix the issue as well.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Anki desktop app not loading after updating load balancer