Anki crashes on Mac

I observed this more than once and it somehow makes me uneasy. So I signed up here to report that.

When I’m using Anki for a certain time on my Mac

MacBook Pro (16 Zoll, 2019)
OSX 12.3.1 (21E258)

it happens that it crashes my Mac. Completely! That is there is no way other than to hard reset the machine. Once I waited for a couple of minutes and it started blurring the screen (so some evil was hauting the memory). This is probably more an OSX bug since no application should be able to have such an effect. But anyhow, I’ll start here with reporting my observation.

This does only happen occassionally (once after a couple of weeks). But definitely it’s always during answering questions. BBOD and that was it.

Fortunately I can continue working after reboot. But it’s a pain still…

1 Like

Previous Anki version:

• How long did you use the previous Anki version ?
  • What was the previous version number ?
  • Did you have similar problems with the previous version ?

Current Anki version:

• What is the current Anki version number ?
  • When did you install the current version?

Thanks

I only started a few months ago and always used the version below (copied the debug info):

Anki 2.1.49 (dc80804a) Python 3.8.6 Qt 5.14.2 PyQt 5.14.2
Platform: Mac 10.16
Flags: frz=True ao=False sv=3
Add-ons, last update check: 2022-04-19 17:56:35

===Add-ons (active)===
(add-on provided name [Add-on folder, installed at, version, is config changed])

===IDs of active AnkiWeb add-ons===

===Add-ons (inactive)===
(add-on provided name [Add-on folder, installed at, version, is config changed])

Can you reproduce it with the 2.1.50qt6 release?

I will try. As said, it’s non-deterministic. There’s a serious bug in the OS and somehow Anki (or one of its libs) is exploiting that…

Hello, Anki crashes as well on my Macbook Pro 16, 2021, M1 Pro. It mostly seems to happen whenever I wake up my MacBook again after a longer pause. The only way to continue working is to close Anki via the activity monitor and restart it afterwards. If I can help you with providing more information of any type let me know and thank you for this awesome program!

Debug-Information:
Anki 2.1.50 (26d40c3a) Python 3.9.7 Qt 6.2.3 PyQt 6.2.3
Platform: Mac 12.3.1
Flags: frz=True ao=True sv=2
Add-ons, last update check: 2022-04-20 20:26:13

===Add-ons (active)===
extended editor for field for tables searchreplace ['805891399', 2022-03-13T11:51, 'None', '']

===IDs of active AnkiWeb add-ons===

===Add-ons (inactive)===

At least you can close it. I’m using Anki more often on my older Intel MBP and less on my M1 (where so far I had no trouble). On the Intel MBP there is no chance to close it. Only BBOD and hard reset…

There’s not much we can do about it, sorry. Assuming it’s not a hardware problem, it may be a bug in macOS’s drivers that is being triggered by the web toolkit, or it could be a bug in the web toolkit itself. 2.1.52 will likely update to a newer toolkit, so you could try a beta/rc once one becomes available.

I would have guessed so. I’m wiling to install some debug version if that would be available.

Keep an eye out on the beta testing section of this forum; a test version of 2.1.52 will probably be out within a week.

Hi am having the exact same problem that qrerty_an is having. Has there been any updates?

I have had something similar, even with 2.1.52RC1 and 2, but I was also using add-ons at the time so I didn’t conclude anything. I just recently updated to latest MacOS version and now using 2.1.52RC3 without any add-ons to see if I notice a pattern.

See my post here for more info if it relates to you:

Some time ago I installed Version ⁨2.1.52 (a989e508)⁩, the said RC2, and ever since the issue did not occur. Hard to tell whether it has been fixed since the issue did not occur on some regular basis. So far the white flag is held up…

1 Like

Thanks for the info guys its so appreciated! I’m currently trialing RC2 so will let you know if it or I wins

Hi all just to follow up on this- ever since upgrading to RC2 there hasnt been any issues for anyone in the same boat!

Since my last post here I haven’t been using any add-ons, and I also haven’t experienced any crashes. Now, I will try to keep my usual add-ons on to see if a crash occurs. I will report back if I notice a crash. Also, I am on:

Version ⁨2.1.53 (f6ecddef)⁩ (i.e. 2.1.53RC1)
Python 3.9.7 Qt 6.3.0 PyQt 6.3.0
MacOS 12.3.1
Macbook Air M1

I just received an error “Anki quit unexpectedly” when the add-ons were turned on. I was on the “deck complete screen” and was tabbed out (on Chrome).

These are the add-ons I had on:

• BetterSearch
  • Fastbar - with nightmode support
  • Field Autocomplete
  • Image Occlusion Enhanced for Anki 21
  • Quick Field Navigation

If your Anki crashes next time, please check if any of these are enabled

Occured without add-ons. I think I found a fairly reliable way to reproduce:

• Click a deck
  • Press o key for “options”
  • Press esc
  • Press d for “deck list”

Keep doing this for a few decks and it will probably crash

As covered on GitHub, this has been fixed in 2.1.53.

2 Likes