Anki 24.04 beta/RC

The naming, SM-2 retention, is confusing now. We have implemented the feature to ignore reviews done before a specific date. So the memory state conversion will also happen in cards scheduled by FSRS. Maybe historical retention is better?

@dae, what do you think?

1 Like

Hi, I have encountered a small bug when using the beta. I can’t reproduce it consistently and don’t really know why it happens.
The first time it happened at idle when I was doing something else on my pc, and another time when I was using the Ankimote (149004221) addon (just scanned the QR code).

My debug infos :
Anki 24.04 (b84fce48) (ao)
Python 3.9.18 Qt 6.6.2 PyQt 6.6.1
Platform: Linux-6.8.1-arch1-1-x86_64-with-glibc2.39

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “aqt.webview”, line 628, in handler
File “aqt.toolbar”, line 91, in _onHeight
TypeError: int() argument must be a string, a bytes-like object or a number, not ‘NoneType’

It doesn’t really affect how I can use anki.
However, I saw that when I closed anki, it kept running in my application manager. And it made it impossible to reopen unless I killed it manually.
(This problem is also inconsistent, I thought it was related to the bug I mentioned, but it can happen even when I don’t have it).

Hope I gave the informations needed, have a good day

rc3 is now available. If no issues are found, this is expected to become the stable release in a few days. Please let us know how you go.

Sounds fine to me, but I’m afraid I missed this for rc3.

rc3 will hopefully address it.

2 Likes

@dae, this bug is not fixed in rc3.

1 Like

The bug is now fixed. I thank you and @abdo for that. :pray:

(rc2) Anything after "preset:imp adva 85%" in the Browser or Stats is ignored.

I think that might be a long standing issue, see for example [Bug] Pressing Ctrl+Z in the HTML editor erases all content of the field.

2 Likes

Sorry, I don’t understand.

Searching for any of these produces the same cards:
"preset:imp adva 85"
"preset:imp adva 85" is:new
"preset:imp adva 85" -is:suspended

If you want me to try to reproduce the problem, please provide me with your collection.

You can reproduce this with
is:new preset:Default
versus
preset:Default is:new

By the way, preset: isn’t found in the Searching page of the manual. Is it a new addition?

2 Likes

Dang. Thanks, it’s a bug. I’ll fix this before release.

This is the first time I’m hearing preset search.

Hello, I encountered another strange “bug”. Pretty similar to what I described here. I was adding some cards while using this addon 572933442 when a popup about an error suddenly appeared. I didn’t notice any change in behavior and couldn’t reproduce this random bug. Here is the debug info :
Anki 24.04 (99524848) (ao)
Python 3.9.18 Qt 6.6.2 PyQt 6.6.1
Platform: Linux-6.8.1-arch1-1-x86_64-with-glibc2.39

File “aqt.webview”, line 127, in javaScriptConsoleMessage
BlockingIOError: [Errno 11] write could not complete without blocking

Btw, the other bug about anki not fully closing and not reopening seems to be fixed !

• Have a deck with at least a few cards Due (there can be zero in the New or Learn columns).
  • In the main window, click on that deck, then click on Study Now. The first due card now gets displayed for review.
  • If the Statistics window is not already open, click on Stats to open it.
  • In the Statistics window, use Deck in the bottom left to view a different deck. When you change the deck in this way, the main window (reviewing a card, either front side or back) now becomes grayed out.
  • Click with the mouse on the main window to return the focus to it.

As soon as you do so, the main window switches to the new deck that is being viewed in the Statistics window. In other words, it now displays a due card from the deck selected in the Statistics window, replacing the card from the original deck that you were reviewing earlier. If that new deck has no due cards, it switches to “Congratulations! You have finished this deck for now.”

The Deck chosen in the Statistics window should be a display-only parameter for that window. It’s counterintuitive for it to affect what happens in the main window.

Also, having deck:current at the top of the Statistics window in addition to a different, overriding Deck selector in the bottom left of the same window is somewhat redundant and confusing.

Hello, I encountered a problem after updating Anki to 24.04RC3. After closing Anki, there will be residual processes, which makes Anki unable to start again. This problem has never appeared in any previous version.

1 Like

How are you starting Anki? It seems like it’s not able to write text to standard output.

This is because they currently use a shared concept of the “current” deck.

Can you reproduce it without add-ons?

Thank you for your reply. I just disabled each of my add-ons in sequence and found that it was the “Button Colours Good Again” add-on that caused the problem. It seems that I need to report this problem to the author.

1 Like

Hi all,

24.04 has been released as stable today. If you find any problems with it, please create a new thread to report them.

Changes since the last rc:

6 Likes

I’m opening anki from my task bar. I think it’s the “normal” way :sweat_smile:. But I don’t think it’s worth investigating further because it didn’t change anki’s behaviour and it was completely random