Anki 2.1.55 Beta 1-2

Thanks for sending the document. In the current development code on a Mac, I’m not seeing much of a difference between 2.1.49 and the current performance. 2.1.50 was noticeably slower, so it’s possible this has been fixed. Please let me know if it’s an issue with the next beta release.

1 Like

Two issues I’ve noticed with the Wayland version thus far:

• I can’t copy text from outside the application into Anki. XWayland instance works fine.
  • The automatic dark mode doesn’t affect the window borders. Launching directly into dark mode works. Almost certain that is a gnome issue though.
    *The field heading overlaps with the field content when scrolling:

Screenshot from 2022-10-24 16-57-36

This is a feature that’s been broken by a past PR. It’s intentional that the field name sticks to the view, but not that it doesn’t have a background color. The fix has been lying around on GitHub with #2070 since September, but @hengiesel went inactive. If he doesn’t respond here, I’ll see if I can get his PRs over the finish line.

2 Likes

I’m on Windows 11
Although the resources he takes are not exaggerated. But the time is unlikely.
We will wait for the next

2.1.5x broke the Multi-column note editor addon, which makes 2.1.5x unusable for me. Losing the ability to have fields laid out in a tabular form vastly reduces the usability of Anki for me, and a minor change in field presentation in no way makes up for that.

It is frustrating as a user that when upgrading to a new version you never know what addons will break.

In my view Anki should have built-in support for showing fields in a tabular layout in the editor. Without that notes with large number of fields are much harder to create and update.

The field changes since 2.1.49 are not minor. I’m sorry the author of that add-on you like hasn’t updated it, but that is out of our control.

I hope you understand that the add-on situation is just as - if not more - frustrating from the developer side. It’s not that nice to get backlash every time you try to actually improve the software itself, because someone you don’t know hasn’t updated an add-on you’ve either never heard of or have never used.

As a user, you have to understand add-ons are made by third parties, so we also never know which addons will break (How would we? Test every add-on in existence?).

When you install add-ons, you must accept the risk that they might stop working one day. That’s why we are working hard on improving native Anki. But that cannot be done without breaking add-ons.

2 Likes

The issue re add-ons unexpectedly breaking would be lessened if a better version numbering scheme was used. I would expect minor version changes to be patches only, not functionality changes.

I understand re the position of add-on authors re version changes, and that the situation can be difficult for them as well.

But in my experience native Anki is missing features like a tabular layout of fields. For me that makes a lot more difference to the usability of Anki than the cosmetic UI changes introduced. To understand why I think this consider learning a language where you wish to learn verb declensions and so have a note with a list of field pairs (one for the declined form of the verb, and one for the audio of how it sounds - separate fields are required for the card design). With 6 such pairs per tense in a lot of languages, and some languages having over 10 tenses+moods you can easily have 100+ fields per note. Stacking all fields into a linear list is obviously a suboptimal UI for such a domain.

This is a good point. Using semantic versioning principles would be helpful for letting people know when things are expected to break.

I actually meant the Anki devs here, but yeah, it’s frustrating for add-on devs too. Frustrating for everyone.

For every which way someone is using SRS there’ll be someone on here telling them they’re using SRS “wrong”. Of course you can use Anki to study irregular verb conjugations, just like you study everything else surrounding your language learning process

3 Likes

Yes, I did mean conjugation.

But I disagree about only using SRS to lean the dictionary form, although I agree that using SRS for every conjugated form of every verb is not sensible.

Comprehensible input is valuable and should be used. But the logical end point of your argument “You acquire the language through immersion” is that SRS should not be used at all and the whole language learnt using comprehensible input, as small children do. But as adults are not children and wish to learn faster there is obviously a balance to be struck somewhere. For me I like to use SRS to learn enough conjugation to be familiar with the different conjugation forms that a language uses, and then just learn the dictionary form for future verbs of the same form. Others may wish to strike a different balance.

One of the advantages of Anki is that it is not opinionated in that users can configure it to help them learn in the way that suites them best.

I hope that it continues to be not opinionated.

3 Likes

An issue not fixed in Beta 3

There is still excessive slowness when pasting multiple text.

Do you mean the pasting text issue is still there, or are you talking about something else?

I edited the previous post, sorry for the confusion…
:man_bowing:t2:

I’m afraid I’m not sure what the problem is - I’m seeing similar performance on .49 and .55 on my machine, and the bulk of the delay appears to be happening in the webview rather than Anki’s code (“execCommand(‘inserthtml’)”).

A post was split to a new topic: Image handling issues

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.