Anki has a long history of not-so-great version numbers.
Semver is a bit of a tricky subject. From the perspective of add-ons, it’s a breaking API change, and you could argue that should make it 3.0. But that’s not really practical - because add-ons are so tightly coupled, we’d end up bumping the major version every few releases that way. So I mainly focus on what’s exposed to end users outside of add-ons. This update doesn’t change how cards are stored on disk, or require a downgrade before moving back to .48 for example.
When we upgraded to Qt5, that involved a bump to 2.1. But that was a much bigger move, as we had to transition from WebKit to WebEngine, and asynchronous JS requests, and it wasn’t feasible to support Qt4 and Qt5 in parallel. That is not the case this time - the web API is closer, and Anki still works on Qt5.
But regardless of whether it makes sense or not, it’s not a change that can be easily made at the moment, because AnkiWeb’s update and add-on handling code was hacked together while I was busy with the 2.1 work, and it wasn’t written with support for future minor versions in mind. Teaching it how to deal with semantic versions (or even just a single new minor version) will take some time, and it’s probably not something I’ll be able to get to before this release unfortunately.
@dae I wanted to follow up on this comment now that we’re a few months into this process. I know @Glutanimate and many others have also chimed in on this. I’ve spent countless hours and thrown thousands of dollars at helping update my add-ons and popular community add-ons. I want to reiterate that I think this should be a bump to 2.2. I know you mentioned that teaching anki how to deal with semantic versions may take time, but I think that time would be well spent. Rushing to deploy this update would be unfair to users and add-on authors. Nearly 1/3 of the ~60 add-ons I use and share with the community broke on the PyQt5 update and over 1/2 of them are broken on the PyQt6 version. This includes things that are “essential” such as image occlusion, heatmap, etc. (many of which owned by @glutanimate or other authors who do not have time to update things right now).
I answer many messages every day from confused users and add-on breaks are a huge portion of this. I appreciate the massive amounts of functionality updates, but I think this update needs to carefully examine the effects it will have on Anki’s user friendliness. None of the updates in this version are so massive that it’s worth rushing to publish and given the continued breakages, I think it is well worth the time to more properly set up Anki for future versioning. I don’t think anyone would complain if it takes another 6 months before this update is formally released if that also meant things were compatible and set up for a much better future. Many of us would prefer to have a much larger update twice a year than multiple smaller updates throughout.
Of course, the decision is ultimately yours, but nearly everyone I’ve talked to has expressed that they feel this should bump to 2.2. I’m happy to do a formal poll of my community if that would better help guide your decision.