Anki 2.1.28 Beta

Hi all,

A new beta is available. Please see the following page for changes and download links:

https://betas.ankiweb.net/#/

2 Likes

the stats chart are too big when stats window is maximized.
would have been nicer if they were a bit smaller or there was an option to scale them dowm.

Agree with @mmdj2 about the size. Otherwise, really nice!
Maybe you could mention the AltGr issue with 2.1.28 somewhere. As I understood it, you have to wait for a Qt fix for that? Because it makes 2.1.28, as cool as it is, almost unusable for people with keyboard layouts that rely heavily on AltGr combos. As a German user, I cannot for example type any of these characters on 2.1.28: @{}[]~²³|

Edit: Tried the alternate version, and it works there!
Edit 2: The “normal” version allows for CTRL+mousewheel zooming in the Add Card webview, the alternate version doesn’t. Is that simply due to the older Qt version on the alternate? Because when I discovered that 2.1.28 supports this feature, I was really pleased as it adds a lot of convenience when switching between different screen sizes.

On a side-note: The “Problems” section on https://betas.ankiweb.net/#/ links to the old forums.

1 Like

I have a similar bug. It doesn’t look exactly like yours, but on my machine (Windows 10), the fields also have a weird border area. Problem occurs on both, the default and the alternate version.

I was checking the translation for recently introduced strings. I saw that Scheduling is translated in pantoon but not in the latest bata. Indeed the Spanish translation is at 100%.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: AltGr shortcuts

Ugh. Until the next beta, Windows/Linux users can work around this by editing aqt_data/web/editor.css in the installation folder, and replacing “scroll” with “auto”

It looks like it may be a Pontoon bug - I will have a poke around to see if I can get to the bottom of it.

1 Like

I have been looking at the new stats. They look awesome and feels that they are generated quickier than before.

I’d want to double check if I understand the changes correctly before spreading the word. When selecting deck life, each bar becomes a 50 day period.

In the cards added it is clear that is accumulative total, so is labeled as Running Total.
Untitled3

In review time stats, on mouse hover you have the time split by the card state. I do understand that the Total is also the accumulative, not the total of that particular 50-day frame, right? It would be nice to have both or either labeled as Runnning total.

Does Early (orange) stand for the old cramming (yellow)?

The first bar is very narrow, I think that is intended since the date interval is just 14 days (next pic).

Untitled2

1 Like

There is no sector graph for the card counts. Is this intended?

I believe the hook “gui_hooks.top_toolbar_did_init_links” might be broken in 2.1.28.

Add-ons like AnKingMed’s studytimer add-on (not on github) or glutanimate’s Coronatracker or Arthur’s Force full sync button that rely on this hook don’t work for me in 2.1.28. I tested without any other add-ons installed, see [1].

I also attached a minimal sample that doesn’t work for me, see [2]. I didn’t notice any change in the hook description or the toolbar code.

I tested with the compiled version " anki-2.1.28beta1-4d23a69e-linux-amd64.tar.bz2" which has this in the about dialog: “Version 2.1.28 (4d23a69e)” and with running from source.

[1]

Anki 2.1.28 (4d23a69e) Python 3.8.1 Qt 5.15.0 PyQt 5.15.0
Platform: Linux
Flags: frz=True ao=True sv=2
Add-ons, last update check: 2020-07-01 17:01:14

===Add-ons (active)===
(add-on provided name [Add-on folder, installed at, version, is config changed])
Force full sync button ['1269480121', 2020-05-24T07:16, 'None', '']

===IDs of active AnkiWeb add-ons===

===Add-ons (inactive)===
(add-on provided name [Add-on folder, installed at, version, is config changed])

[2] The following minimal add-on works in 2.1.26 but not in 2.1.28.

from aqt import mw
from aqt import gui_hooks
from aqt.utils import showInfo

def mytest():
    showInfo('mytest')

def on_top_toolbar_did_init_links(links, toolbar):
    links.append(
        toolbar.create_link(
            "mytest", "mytest", mytest, tip="my test", id="mytest"
        )
    )
gui_hooks.top_toolbar_did_init_links.append(on_top_toolbar_did_init_links)

I’ve tested this with a few add-ons and can’t find a pattern. I did notice that adding 0 in front of the addon folder name made it work with my study timer addon, but changing that to a 9 (even though folder location doesn’t change relative to other addon folders) makes it not work anymore.

Looks like the gui_hooks.top_toolbar_did_init_links issue was introduced with 4d7e23. Due to the execution order between main.AnkiQt.setupMainWindow and main.AnkiQt.setupAddons, the hook only operated correctly thanks to the draw call in deckbrowser.DeckBrowser.show (so it was on shaky grounds to begin with). Not sure what the best fix here is – whether to move the first draw() call after all add-ons are initialized (could generate some bad visuals while Anki is loading) or draw() for a second time as before (not ideal performance-wise).

I’ve pushed a change that defers the draw until after loading - it seems to render fine here, but please let me know if you notice any regressions.

@guillempalausalva thanks for the reports, there is still some work required to polish the graphs up. And yes, early is the same as cramming. The translations issue should now be fixed - there are a few fuzzy strings waiting in Pontoon that will need to be approved/modified.

(I am running from today’s master)

I suggest adding a background to the graphics. For the example, on this graph:

It is confusing when the graphic starts and when it ends (as there is not new dada on it).

This is a photoshop I did on the image for illustration:

1 Like

When the graphs have data, I found they looked better without the outer border. I will experiment with alternatives - maybe we can remove the axis labels and display “no data” when no graph can be rendered.

1 Like

@dae do you expect the official 2.1.28 release will have the mac nightmode bar fixed or is that too far down on your list?

Additionally- I agree with previous comments about scaling down the stats size. Otherwise the new beta looks great

About the stats, just to state my opinion, I agree with @dae that the graphs look better without the outer border.

In the “Answer Buttons” graph, I really miss the correct percentage that was shown below the graph. I think the retention rate is one of the most important information to assess my performance, and that was the only way to have it by the stats window. You should consider adding it again.

About “Card Counts”, bringing it to the top of the status screen was very nice. But I really miss the way it was easy to have a picture of the proportions of the various card types; I think you should consider also to display again that graph, or simply adding another row below showing the percentages. It should be enough.

Thanks!

1 Like

And what a background or an user option to add borders to the graphics?

1 Like

Beta 2 is now available.