Addon Compatible

Hello everyone,I am new in making anki addon. I just finished writing this addon and uploaded it to ankiweb. I would like everyone to help me with the compatibility issue of the addon I just created with different versions of anki.
Here’s my addon link: Anki Challenge Leaderboard (just for Anki Challenge) - AnkiWeb
With my anki version [24.04.1] is running
But with some user it doesn’t run normal [I don’t know their anki version but data upload to database doesn’t correct]

1 Like

Debugging requires downloading past versions of Anki to see how it actually works, you can get it here.

1. Anki : Changes(info)
  2. GitHub : releases
  3. Archive

The differences between each of the Anki versions are approximately as follows.

• Anki2.0 : Very old Anki, Maybe no one uses it anymore.
  • Anki2.1.35 : Older Anki, but occasionally used by language learners.
  • Anki2.1.66 : Last version of Anki2.1.
  • Anki23, Anki24 : Starting with this version the numbers are numbered in years (23->2023), So Anki2.1.66, Anki23 and Anki24 are quite similar.

Of course this is a rather tedious task, most Anki users prefer the latest version of Anki, so it is common practice to make previous versions of Anki unsupported.

• You may want to clarify supported devices and Anki versions on the AnkiWeb page.
  • You can disable downloading in the AnkiWeb options.
    • Branches : For the max version of the final branch, add a ‘-’ prefix (e.g. -2.1.66) if you wish to prevent the add-on from being downloaded on any versions newer than that number.

There are add-ons that correspond to many Anki versions, they are by developers who have been developing them for many years. They keep the old version support when they support new Anki, so they have many different Anki versions to support.

You can keep the old Anki versions in the code, like this.

from anki.utils import pointVersion
if pointVersion() < 45: ...
from anki.utils import pointVersion
if pointVersion() >= 231000:

Or, perhaps it is possible to add a branch for each version on add-on page.

I think you need to have the user send you an error report. If you don’t know the version, maybe you can’t debug it.

Outside versions, these can cause bugs.

1. Win, Mac, Linux
  2. Qt5 or Qt6
  3. Interference by other add-ons
  4. User mistake or misunderstanding

The benefit of debugging is that it will help reduce low ratings, many users rate low when errors occur, so if you don’t care about AnkiWeb ratings and comments you can ignore them no problem, that’s free volunteer work.

Other tips:

• You may want to open Issues on Github and summarize the information, because occasionally volunteer developers read issues on Github and send pull requests.
  • If you did not get useful information in this Forums, you may want to ask questions in Anki’s development on Discord: invite link (anyone)
  • Anki for desktop is tested in beta and pre-release before being released(GitHub : releases), this allows you to check for bugs in your add-on before Anki is released.(Not available now, 2024-08-22.)
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.