Visual quirks on Anki 2.1.49

I’ve recently upgraded from version 2.1.44 to version 2.1.49 of Anki desktop, and I’ve started experiencing odd visual anomalies. These include:

• The GUI going black when clicking one of the Again/Hard/Good/Easy buttons;
  • Again/Hard/Good/Easy buttons “lingering” after being clicked, showing momentarily on next card;
  • Reverse of the card not showing until “dragged over” with the mouse.

All of the above effects occur apparently at random - sometimes they happen, sometimes they do not.

I’m running Arch Linux, kernel 5.15.7. I installed Anki via the AUR, so effectively it’s a source build. I’m running GNOME on Wayland. I am experiencing this with the video driver set to “OpenGL” as well as set to “Software”.

Running Anki from the command line, I got the following output whilst experimenting:

Qt info: Warning: Ignoring XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland on Gnome. Use QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to run on Wayland anyway. 
mpv not found, reverting to mplayer
Qt warning: Wayland does not support QWindow::requestActivate() 
Not found: 'favicon.ico'
JS error /_anki/pages/congrats.html#night:1 Uncaught SyntaxError: Identifier 'style' has already been declared

My environment variable QT_QPA_PLATFORM is indeed set to wayland.

I was not experiencing these quirks with version 2.1.44, so am quite keen to figure out what’s going on. Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Can provide further details upon request.

Please see if you can reproduce it in the packaged build: Linux Distro Packages - Anki Manual

Hi @dae - have downloaded the packaged build, and cannot reproduce the above issues.

2 Likes