Video tutorials for Anki

Hi,

I am planning to record some video tutorials for Anki. What topic do you think would be the most needed or convinient to cover? I will also showcase add-ons. The only thing I cannot do is iOS or Mac specific videos.

5 Likes

Since you’ve been using Anki for over 10 years with a huge number of reviews, I presume you have a lot of valuable experience.
I’m interested in your personal experience with Anki: your process of making flashcards, the organization of your collection, your daily routine with Anki.
I think that would be more useful than tutorials about features or add-ons (at least for me).

4 Likes

A few very simple videos “How Anki works”.
Two versions:

• Shared deck ( cards out of order; repetitions are included ).
  • Self-made deck

Starting point: a deck is downloaded or a first batch of cards were made.
Preferences and Options – in a separate video.

Exclude the following topics:

• How to make cards.
  • Sharing decks
  • Formatting and Templates
  • Typing the answer
  • Cloze deletion
  • Filtered decks
  • Add-ons

I’ve been meaning to spend some time in the next month or two making some new videos to replace the ones made back in 2012 - my focus would be on the basics, so if you were planning to cover more advanced topics, there’s little risk of overlap.

1 Like

Good to know. My god I knew they were kind of outdated, but not that old.

The Basics are out of the scope, mainly because is what is most found online. I won’t be adding value on that unless I do it in Spanish language and if there are user requests. My long-term plan is that Spanish users can be introduced and master Anki without relying on English.

I see. I’d need to adapt some flashcards to exemplify my use as I use English as a vehicular language and Spanish for mnemonics.

May I ask why you think add-ons or formatting should be excluded?

1 Like

I advocate for a very simple videos aimed at the new users; the users Glutanimate described as ‘very skilled’ in avoiding the Manual. The goal is to show them the big picture.
As to the add-ons, they would clutter this video; besides - it is easy to answer the add-ons questions, one add-on at a time, tailoring the details to user’s situation.

I’ll take that in consideration. I’d wait for Damien to release the official videos before proceeding in that target.

By add-ons I had in mind showcasing not so obvious results. For instance Additional Card Fields (Fork for 2.1) add-on has so much potential that goes unnoticed to the average user. Among other things, you can use this add-on with JavaScript to further style the cards (changing layout, hiding or showing extra fields,etc) based on some dynamic criteria: card maturity, lapse count, queue, etc). The combinations are limitless and you can take the approach I show in the video to the next level.

Here’s my first video in the series:
(I noticed the chroma key is kind of messy when my screen is mostly dark. I will need to improve in that). All feedback is welcome.

3 Likes

I find this method of color-coding actually confusing. Isn’t encoding contextual information in something like tags simpler and more intuitive?
I mean something like this in the front side:

Where the front template has this to show tags:

<div id="tags"> {{Tags}} </div>

Tags are more intuitive indeed but once you get use to color-coding methodology it becomes second nature. Having tags is almost the same as keeping the whole question. The goal of color-coding is to obviate the rest of the question. I guess this solution is not for everyone, Plus if your don’t study a certain amount of cards you won’t outweigh the cost of the initial familiarization. In other words, the more different and diverse stuff in your collection the more convenient it gets, specially in the long run.

1 Like

I would be grateful if you could cover:

Searching, PDF Reading & Note-Taking in Add Dialog - how to make the most of it

Anki Excel Sync

making cards from youtube videos with subtitles

1 Like

You can color tags as well.

Hello,
Initially grateful for your detachment in sharing knowledge. Only people with deep knowledge and security transfer knowledge in order to add value to a community of users.
I’m a user of Anki for a short time, so I believe I could explore some specific add-ons.
Another suggestion, I tried to include new fields in addition to the standard ones [Front and Back], but they don’t appear when you show the card. I must have made a mistake in the construction.
Anyway, if you create something like tips, it could be quite interesting.
Congratulations for the initiative
A hug, Dirceu

1 Like

You have to add the new field in the card template. For instance a third field called “image” to be displayed at the front side of the card:

{{Front}} will become:

{{Front}}<br>
{{image}}
1 Like

Please provide a series of simple examples for common use cases showing:

1. A card template’s code along with
  2. An example of that card in action

Video tutorials would be ideal for this because of its ability to show the card in action but the actual text for the template should also be made available somehow.

Thank you for your effort

1 Like

If you put effort into the quality, it will be greatly appreciated!

What you make isn’t as important as how good you make it.
Provided that you can make it fast-paced and high quality with clear explanations that can keep the attention of young people, then your efforts will be greatly appreciated.

If you make slow poorly edited videos with long silences, you’ll be throwing your efforts into the pile of bad tutorials that already exist.

This is an uncompleted one from awhile ago where I tried to get good pacing and good energy in the video. I made it mainly for highschool students (hence the stupid faces and jokes)

1 Like

Hi,

I really appreciate to fact that you spent some time to provide feedback. Actually I saw this video back in the day when I did some research in YT. As for now, there is no editing involved, I use Twitch studio for recording. What editing software do you recommend available in Windows?

1 Like

Sure, I used OBS to record everything in my vids. Though Twitch studio functions very similarly. They’re both great and do the same thing. You might have an easier time setting up scenes in OBS tho.

For editing I used Adobe Premiere Pro. I got a teachers discount which made it cheap. Otherwise its quite an expensive software. Surely you can find some fantastic cheap video editors out there. They’re often very worth paying for.
If you’ve got the drive for video editing, premiere pro is definitely worth it.

Please be aware a sizeable percentage of people, especially men have partial or full colour blindness. I’m green/red colour blind which is the most common form of colour blindness and most colour blind people have one type of this. Although ‘red/green colour blindness’ is a common term, there are different types and severities of it. Being ‘red/green colour blind’ doesn’t mean people with it mix up red and green only, it means they can mix colours which have some red or green as part of the whole colour. So someone with red/green colour blindness will probably confuse blue and purple because they can’t ‘see’ the red element of the colour purple.
By using colour coding you are excluding as much as 10% of users, not good and very, very frustrating for us.

Hi,

I really appreciate your impunt as color blindness is something I overlooked completely. I did some googling and in fact color blindness is far more prevalent than I expected, specially for a certain populations. Acording to wikipedia red–green color blindness affects up to 8% of males and 0.5% of females of Northern European descent, and expressed differently, it occurs in about 1 in 12 males and 1 in 200 females (source).

So in the video only the dented border would be somewhat useful as a visual cue.

1 Like

Yes Guillem any help would be appreciated. It is amazing how colour blindness is overlooked so often when all that needs to be done is supplement with an aid for those who have problems with colours. I look forward to your videos :slight_smile: