To me, this app is a fail

Densest interface I’ve ever seen in my life, bar-none, and I’ve used UNIX.

QUESTION: Do you have a scaled-down version of Anki for desktop? You probably think I must be dumb. No kidding. That’s why I’m using a learning app like Anki.

REASON: All I wanted were flashcards, not 90% of the features you’ve shoveled into this. To me, it’s cluttered and confusing. Every time I’ve used Anki now, I’ve tried to do something simple with a card or deck, and only after 20-45 minutes do I find where you’ve hidden the feature. I’ve had it now for three months, and I’ve been able to generate 1-1/2 decks. My learning time is totally taken up with the interface, which I’m not learning.

EXAMPLE: I’ve just tried to drill through the deck with the front as the prompt then the back as answers, after doing it the opposite. So, I found the “invert” featuret Once. Now I can’t find it again. I try to edit cards I’ve filled out wrong, and can’t find that feature. Why don’t you have a more standard menu, with “File-Edit-View-History . . .” as the headings?

As it is, the interface is cluttered. Yes, It has some cool features, when I find them. I’d like them far better if I could find them, twice.

Don’t tell me to RTFM. It’s no help because I don’t know what nomenclature you’re using to describe features, and, apparently, I’m seeing the document in English translation. Not good.

A learning app is a FAIL if the user needs another learning app to learn the learning app. I’m kicking Anki off my desktop, and I’m afraid to even look at the mobile version now.

The FM describes the nomenclature used. Did you read the Getting Started section?

4 Likes

I guess you haven’t RTFM :slight_smile:

6 Likes

With respect, I strongly diasgree. Plenty of people have found Anki very helpful.

Having said that, I agree that it can be hard to get to grips with at first. Personally, I’d recomment Prerak Juthani’s YouTube videos. And I agree that there is room for improvement on the interface.

1 Like

There are numerous flashcard programs whose functionality is e.g. limited to creating flashcards with front and back sides and querying them (known yes/no). Anki is not the best solution for everyone (just like Photoshop is not the most suitable solution if you only want to straighten images).

8 Likes

Have you? I think Anki has probably the most sparse interface of all the programs installed on my computer that have an interface at all.

I can understand Anki’s UI is not the greatest (this is no wonder, as I don’t think Anki has a proper UI/UX designer who though of its interface), but if you think of it it probably has way less features than the web browser you used to type your answer, and when I say way less I mean Firefox core repository is about 500 times bigger than Anki’s (you may not use Firefox, but unless you use Lynx your web browser has approximately the same size). So, is it really the number of features Anki provides that troubles you?
I think the real issue is that learning with flashcards is actually harder than navigate internet, which is why even though Anki is simpler than Firefox, it has a steeper learning curve.

Besides that, I have a question for you. Since apparently you haven’t read the FM, because you have your reasons, then who exactly should read it? What is it’s purpose? Is it even useful?

2 Likes