To add many new features or not to add?

Not sure whether you have seen these two posts:
reddit.com/r/Anki/comments/1cgfbis/ask_for_a_feature_and_ill_create_it/
reddit.com/r/Anki/comments/1chl09o/ask_for_a_feature_and_ill_create_it_part_2/
This gist of it is that I can frequently contribute new features according to the needs of the community. I would start with Desktop/Android and then maybe a year from now create an open-source version of the app.
I’m still not sure whether the best approach is to discuss with you guys the feature here, get enough support, and then develop it? Or just create a hard-fork and parallel releases?
For example, the author had rejected my first contribution which I have no doubt that it is popular among the Anki community Add Deck Hide/Unhide · Issue #3173 · ankitects/anki · GitHub.
I hope to hear more from you :slight_smile:

1 Like

reddit/r/Anki/comments/1cgfbis/ask_for_a_feature_and_ill_create_it/
reddit/r/Anki/comments/1chl09o/ask_for_a_feature_and_ill_create_it_part_2/
github/ankitects/anki/issues/3173#issuecomment-2088120085

Here, you dropped this: .com
On a more serious note, I would definitely appreciate contributions to Anki. Perhaps you should make a poll for each feature.

1 Like

Will do! Thank you for the advice.

I tried creating a poll but it looks like I don’t have permission to do that! Can you please help?

Sorry that I’ve not seen that you have opened a poll.

(Deleted Poll)

It seems that you have to achieve Level 2 to open a poll.

For more information of Discourse Trust Levels, see Understanding Discourse Trust Levels.

1 Like

Have you considered developing add-ons for features currently not wanted in core Anki? That would be much more efficient than a fork, and many features now part of vanilla Anki have started that way.

1 Like

I confess that I might have not done enough research on the capabilities available to plugins. Do you think that plugins can hide decks, show hidden decks, and persist the hidden attribute in the deck?

Yes, there’s not much you can’t do with add-ons in Anki Desktop.

And do they work on all platforms? I’m under the impression that they only work on Desktop, right?

Correct.

To add many new features or not to add?

I think each feature needs to be judged on its own merits.

There are already other ways users can accomplish similar things, such as creating a “Hidden” deck, and dragging the unwanted decks there. Or exporting the deck to an .apkg, and deleting it. Having too many similar ways to do something both makes maintenance harder, and makes the app harder to pick up by new users, due to all the visible options.

4 Likes

Out of respect, I will refrain from contributing or continuing in arguing about features that you and most of the community either don’t find useful, would rather use alternative methods, or would rather implement them as plugins which work only on one platform (which I find really weird tbh) instead of incorporating them into the upstream version.
I’ll continue adding features to my fork and share the ideas behind them here. If any of the features garner wide acceptance I’ll contribute here also.

3 Likes