Support for Apple Silicon (macOS)

This isn’t really complicated, as it would only require a recompile. Since Anki uses QtWebEngine which incurs a JIT, it isn’t really battery-efficient for macbooks. It’s actually 3~4 times more battery-hungry than the chrome itself (ARM version) according to Activity Monitor. Native arm build will be much more efficient battery-wise. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad to hear it’s not complicated, I look forward to seeing your contributions to the upstream libraries that are holding us up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh didn’t knew It were actually complicated :joy: I just thought it would magically rebuild with a single compiler option, but bazel&qt aren’t yet supporting apple silicon.

Have you made any progress on an Apple Silicon port? Or are you considering it for release in the near future? Just thought I’d ask as I haven’t been able to find much information about it elsewhere.

It’s not currently possible. Qt (what Anki uses inside) doesnt work fully on arm64 yet.

Is the emulation not working, performance-wise you might even get a small improvement as well?

The toolkit update is due out in September+, so it will be some time after then.

1 Like

Qt 6.2 LTS was released in September 2021, and its release notes indicate that it fully supports Apple Silicon on macOS, including universal binaries.

Bazel 4.1 was released in May 2021 and its release notes also indicate Apple Silicon compatibility.

Are there any remaining upstream dependencies that are not yet compatible?

https://betas.ankiweb.net/anki2.1.50.html#beta-1

That’s really nice, thanks for making such great apps !

1 Like

When will this be available outside the beta?

The latest version (2.1.51) now runs natively.

1 Like