Some jpeg images not displaying in field

I have about 2,000 kanji cards which contain a field with scanned jpeg images. Several dozen of the cards simply display an image icon rather than the image. I can find no differences in the method used to scan (create), rotate and save, and insert the images into the cards, yet quite inexplicably (randomly it seems) some just won’t display despite several recreations. Everything looks fine during the process, the image is fine after insertion, but once the window is closed and then revisited (or attempting to study) the image does not display - just an icon. Why it is only some of a few thousand has me bewildered and it seems that nothing I do will change it. If I were following different processes at different times it might lead me to an answer, but I’m stumped. I’ll try to upload a screen shot or two.

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 8.30.41 am

Solved - apparently. By removing the * from the original file names and re-inserting, the problem has disappeared ( I had used the * in keeping with the title in the scanned image). HOWEVER that doesn’t explain why some ANKI notes accepted the file name with an * without trouble and some did not. In any case, no * means no problems.

I can’t seem to reproduce the problem with the current development code - * is automatically removed from filenames when they are pasted/dragged in.

Thank you so much for taking a look at it. As everything seems ok for now I guess it is just one of those things that the cost of search for the answer is far greater than the benefit once it is found. :slight_smile: