Several clozes per note through cards

Hi everyone,

I would like to suggest the possibility that a cloze can be omitted on more than one card.

Here is an example of usage:

Who are the first 7 {{c1-c2-c3-c4-c5-c6-c7::US presidents}} in order?

• George {{c1::Washington}} (1789–1797)
  • {{c2::John Adams}} (1797–1801)
  • {{c3::Thomas}} Jefferson (1801–1809)
  • {{c4::James Madison}} (1809–1817)
  • James {{c5::Monroe}} (1817–1825)
  • {{c6::John Quincy}} Adams (1825–1829)
  • Andrew {{c7::Jackson}} (1829–1837)

This example is not the best, it happens that in Brazil many law students need to know the relationship between a legal provision and its subtopics, such as an indentation.

So, this would be extremely useful instead of having to create several notes just with “c1” type cards.

Thank you in advance.

Asking for the same information on different cards is not a good idea as it is redundant and will interfere with the scheduling. In your example, why not have a single, but separate cloze for “US presidents”?

I apologize if I said something nonsense, as I don’t understand about programming.

First of all, I don’t see how this would negatively influence the scheduling of individual cards, since the scheduling information would be stored on each of the cards (c1, c2, c3…) and not in the “wild card” cloze ({{c1-c2-c3-c4-c5-c6-c7::}}).

Secondly, I don’t think a separate “US presidents” cloze would suit my purposes, as the information would be completely dissociated from its substrate (president role → person who held the position), as well as this note should purposely "merge " with other information that may be confused by similarity of concepts.

Example:

(Note 1) Who are the first 7 {{c1-c2-c3-c4-c5-c6-c7::US presidents}} in order?

• George {{c1::Washington}} (1789–1797)
  • {{c2::John Adams}} (1797–1801)
  • {{c3::Thomas}} Jefferson (1801–1809)
  • {{c4::James Madison}} (1809–1817)
  • James {{c5::Monroe}} (1817–1825)
  • {{c6::John Quincy}} Adams (1825–1829)
  • Andrew {{c7::Jackson}} (1829–1837)

(Note 2) Who are the first 7 {{c1-c2-c3-c4-c5-c6-c7::Russia presidents}} in order?

• {{c1::Mikhail Kutuzov}} 1810-1813
  • Michael {{c2::Barclay de Tolly}} 1813-1818
  • {{c3::Dmitry 'Seniavin}} 1818-1831 ’
  • {{c4::Viktor Kochubey}} 1831-1834
  • {{c5::Nikolay}} Novosiltsev 1834-1836
  • Peter {{c6::Wittgenstein}} 1836-1843
  • {{c7::Ilarion Vassiltchikov}} 1843-1847

(Note 3) Who are the first 7 {{c1-c2-c3-c4-c5-c6-c7::Italian presidents}} in order?

• {{c1::Ennio Quirino}} Visconti 1810-1818
  • {{c2::Ferdinand I of two sicilies}} 1818-1825 ’
  • {{c3::Charles Felix}} of Sardinia 1825-1831
  • Francis IV {{c4::of modena}} 1831-1846 ’
  • {{c5::Charles}} II of Parma 1846-1849
  • {{c6::Giuseppe}} Mazzini 1849-1855
  • Daniele {{c7::Manin}} 1855-1857

All this with the intention of being able to accurately relate the information “son” to the “father”.

The scheduling algorithm is supposed to find the ideal time for showing you a piece of information. If you have multiple cards with this piece of information, they will be scheduled independently and the actual intervals between prompts for this information will be erratic.
A similar problems emerges because you’re asking for different pieces of information on the same card.

I can’t quite follow. Let’s take your Note 1 as an example. You’re supposed to fill in “US presidents” and “Washington”. You have so much content on your cards that either blank can be deduced from it alone, even if you can’t come up with the second blank.

And I think that’s the actual problem with your template: It has far too much going on. If you want to learn dates, put them on separate cards, if not, there is no reason to have them there in the first place. If you want to learn who John Adams was, make a card “John Adams” → “POTUS”, don’t rely on exposing the information together in a list.
As for the enumeration itself, I don’t think this kind of cards will be of much help if you want to be able to list it in real life. I would ask “Who followed George Washington as POTUS?” If you can answer this question for every succession, you will also be able to give the entire enumeration, because this kind of card doesn’t offer more context than what you would have in real life.

1 Like

Oh, and I’m also bound by custom to provide the following link: SuperMemo.com
Rules 4 and 10 should especially be of interest to you.

Hi, sorry for leaving you unanswered for so long (even after that very complete answer you gave me), it turns out that I came to a point in this post where you were right considering the examples I presented earlier.

I didn’t know how to explain to you the usefulness of a wildcard cloze without filling the “example note” with information that, as pointed out, could be discovered by the context.

That said, I will try not to waste your time with an ineffective explanation.

The idea of ​​a cloze ({{c1-c2-c3::…}}) that serves more than one card is to use this without having to produce more than one note when the intention is for the information to be presented by Anki in different times.

I will try to give a practical example: I study law in Brazil and many of our laws have the following configuration:

Penal Code, Art. 148. Depriving someone of their freedom, through kidnapping or prison:
Penalty - imprisonment, from one to three years.
§ 1 The penalty is of {{c1-c2-c3-c4-c5::reclusion}}, of {{c1-c2-c3-c4-c5::two to five years}}:
I - if the victim is {{c1::ascendant, descendant, spouse or partner of the agent}} or {{c1::over 60 (sixty) years}};
II - if the crime is committed through {{c2::admission of the victim to a nursing home or hospital}};
III - if the deprivation of liberty lasts {{c3::more than fifteen}} days.
IV - if the crime is committed against a minor of {{c4::18 (eighteen)}};
V - if the crime is committed with {{c5::lewd purposes}}.

Note that the crime is defined in “Art. 148", and “§ 1” (information “father” with increased penalty) then brings five hypotheses in which this penalty is increased, more specifically in “I”, “II”, “III”, “IV” and “V”.

Thus, having the “wildcard cloze” ({{c1-c2-c3-c4-c5::}}) as “parent” information in “§ 1”, it will be occluded whenever Anki presents c1, c2 , c3, c4 and c5 (“I”, “II”, “III”, “IV” and “V”).

In addition, there will be no conflict or problem with the scheduling of cards, since the information of the answers will be saved in the respective “normal” clozes (c1, c2, c3, c4 and c5) and not in the “wild cloze” ({{c1 -c2-c3-c4-c5::}}).

Unfortunately, I’m not able to think of any less abstract example to demonstrate the idea than the laws of my country, in which it is necessary to know not only the penalty of the main provision, but also the aggravation in all cases where applicable.

An alternative that I usually use and that generates an absurd redundancy in my collection of notes on Anki, a redundancy that I’m trying to correct with the current suggestion is the following:

NOTE 1

Penal Code, Art. 148, § 1 The penalty is {{c1::reclusion}}, from {{c1::two to five years}}:
I - if the victim is {{c1::ascendant, descendant, spouse or partner of the agent}} or {{c1::over 60 (sixty) years}};
(…)

NOTE 2

Penal Code, Art. 148, § 1 The penalty is {{c1::reclusion}}, from {{c1::two to five years}}:
(…)
II - if the crime is committed by means of {{c1::admission of the victim to a nursing home or hospital}};
(…)

NOTE 3

(…)
III - if the deprivation of liberty lasts {{c1::more than fifteen}} days.
(…)

And so on…

Although I can’t imagine any less silly examples than those presented in the first posts (“presidents”), I believe there is a lot of multi-referenced information that could use this approach, and the implementation doesn’t seem to be too complex (from someone’s point of view who barely know how to change the style of the cards themselves haha).

What do you think?

Maybe you could do that with “Closet”, since it has different types of clozes (Hide clozes, Reveal clozes, etc).

Maybe, but I already tried to understand how this closet works without success. I’m totally aware that the problem lays on me, not in closet engine.