Seeking Efficient Flashcard Creation for Legal Information

Hello!

Apologies if this question isn’t quite in the right section; I chose Learning Effectively over Card Design as my query is more about the strategy behind flashcard creation rather than the technical aspects like templates or image occlusion.

I’ve been using Anki for a while now, but sometimes I struggle with creating flashcards when the information isn’t based on a particular rationale, but just on the way the law is. I know that eventually I’ll memorize that piece of information, but I was wondering if you have any ideas on how I could create the flashcards more effectively.

Example: The ruling in which the judge of rights and freedoms has made a decision on the appeal against the prosecutor’s ordinance through which a precautionary measure was taken is final.

The way I create flashcards regarding this information would be:

• Question: “How can the ruling in which the judge of rights and freedoms has made a decision on the appeal against the prosecutor’s ordinance through which a precautionary measure was taken be contested?”
  • Answer: “It cannot. It is final.”

This method doesn’t seem to me the most efficient way. Do you have any other ideas? Thank you!

Also, I translated this from my native language, so if some of the legal jargon sounds a bit off in English, that’s why. Cheers! :grinning:

1 Like

I didn’t use Anki in my legal studies, but for things like this, I would think of them as a ladder, and I would want to know: if we replace a rung on the ladder, how is the outcome different? Part of what you need to learn is what the alternative options are for each rung – but the other part is what changes when you have those alternatives.

This won’t be good for card-design, but the questions that come up for me are like this –

• judge of rights and freedoms
    • What other kinds of judges could it be?
    • Would that change anything?
  • decision on the appeal
    • What if it was at a different non-appeal stage?
  • against the prosecutor’s ordinance
    • What if it was for the prosecutor?
    • What if it was a different subject entirely?
  • through which a precautionary measure was taken
    • What if it was an ordinance to do something else?
  • = final

[And yes, the law of every jurisdiction is basically gibberish to any other jurisdiction! :sweat_smile:]

2 Likes

Maybe try to use cloze first, and then convert each card to a single basic card.

2 Likes

Awesome tips! I’ll for sure try seeing things from different angles, even if it means a few extra flashcards. That with some practice tests should really hammer this stuff home.

1 Like